attaching roof rack (THULE) to 190 B

Maintenance of the body of the camper
raudi1
B190 Year: 1996
WBCCI: 0

attaching roof rack (THULE) to 190 B

Post by raudi1 »

I am looking for a way to transport my SUPs on/in my 190b. I would like to affix a thule style roof rack to the top. Does anyone have any suggestions or if the roof will support the rack. The weight of the boards is about 75 lbs.

I thought about bolting the rack directly through the top of the roof but not sure if there are specific spots to bolt in to.

Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated. I am worried about the wind resistance and the torque that would put on the rack system.

Leaving for another trip to the maine coast and would like to bring the boards with us.

Thanks,
John
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: attaching roof rack (THULE) to 190 B

Post by skater »

Watch the height - the van is already almost 10' tall, so adding a rack plus your stuff (I don't know what an SUP is) is going to increase that even further. Not a problem if you stick to major roads, but if you start rolling down those back roads you could have an issue.

The roof is entirely fiberglass, so I'm not sure if one spot is better than the other. I don't think the weight would be a major issue, as long as it's spread out.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
raudi1

Post by raudi1 »

Thanks for your reply. An SUP is a Stand Up Paddleboard which is the same dimensions as a windsurfer or longboard surfboard. It would probable add 12-25 inches to overall height. It was a great comment and I appreciate your reply.

Still trying to figure out how best to attached the rack into the fiberglass roof and whether or not I need to drill all the way through the roof and use an internal Flange to secure the bolts.

Thanks again!
Wakeslayer
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Post by Wakeslayer »

How about setting up some sort of ladder rack type system on the drivers side? I would be pretty nervous about putting bolts through the roof/ceiling structure. Fiberglass as a whole is extremely strong, but once you start drilling holes and such you will weaken that part of the system. I would think you could get a creative welder to fab one up to fit.
Just get on the Bus!!

Mike & Barbara
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

If installing anything at all on the roof, I'd suggest it be in the lower section...for obvious reasons. Mounting on the roof in the front over the sleeping area and adding to the outside height and access up to there seem like huge problems in the making..... :mrgreen:

The fiberglass is fairly thick up there, especially out near the edges....use large diameter stainless phillips-head screws and some marine sealer around any holes drilled...like 3M 5200

Not sure if there is enough room for an SUP on either side of the air conditioner unit...looks like the available space there is only about 16 inches...

I'd suggest a drivers side mount rack. We have a Florida member (Steve Holm) that has done that and we have pictures here somewhere...stay tuned I'll find them
weekender
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Post by weekender »

I do not know what the sizes are for a stand up surf board. I carry 2 kayaks up there all the time, one on each side between the AC and the existing roof rack. I use ratchet tie downs (4) hooking them to the bases of the roof rack. For my kayaks, they settle down mostly below the height of the front. I don't get any wind buffeting. It's a system to get them up there and tied down-- I use the rear ladder (helpful if you have a second to hand the boat up to you) then a step ladder to do the tie downs. There are pictures in my photo gallery (Weekender)
raudi1

Post by raudi1 »

Thank you for your suggestions, I would like to see the pix form Steve Holm if you can find them. I have been looking at a "construction" type rack system. The VANTECH H1 aluminum is available in different height so I was think about mounting one on the lower (back) of the top and one on the Taller(front) section. They come with a Bolt Thru mounting system with a interior and exterior plate. I can get them to go just over the AC unit. This system would add a little less that 8" to the overall height. The boards are 11'2" by 30". I looked at mounting them to the side of the Van or even in J-racks around the A/C unit but it is recommended to keep them flat when attached to the rack. They are very similar to a longboard surfboard or windsurfer and unfortunately a little more fragile that an injected plastic kayak.

Anyway, thank you again and any and all suggetons are welcome.
RobertS
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1992

Post by RobertS »

Currently carry two 12 foot kayaks on the roof with Thule bars attached to factory roof rack. I have traveled for ten plus years with double strapping each boat for extra safety. I would also like to carry my 12 foot windsurf board weighing 50 pounds. I have hung it from the awning brackets with two padded slings for short local beach runs. This travels ok but blocks the passenger side entrance doors. I am thinking of adding two or three cleats ( for tying slings ) on the driver side of fiberglass top just above the line where van metal meets fiberglass, either above, at , or below the curved fiberglass. Any thoughts of ideas form site users??

White Whale WW
1992 B19 E350 460ci
WW White Whale
jb1rd73
Seasoned Traveler

Post by jb1rd73 »

I have used the Thule/Yakima type Rail mount systems with great success on my fiberglass pick up toppers as well as on my Sprinter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jb1rd73
Seasoned Traveler

Post by jb1rd73 »

I got up there today and was trying to figure out how my rail system would work and think that the factory rails need to come off so I can mount them in that same line, it seems to be the most rigid. I am going to have my buddy fab up some mounting brackets that will put the rear cross bars level with the forward cross bars on the raised portion of the roof. This way I can strap SUPS/Ocean Kayaks up there and they will be flat all the way across.