Maintenance of the body of the camper
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

Replacement for waste tank roof vent

Post by Kentuckian »

Before condition :
Here is what the vent looked like when we purchased the B190. Factory roof cap missing, plastic cup for a cover, putty dried out & cracked, and factory vent plastic dry rotted and cracking.
Attachments
Old.jpg
Old.jpg (214.79 KiB) Viewed 25236 times
1993 Airstream B190
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Kentuckian »

We decided to replace the factory vent with the 360 Siphon product from 360productsinc.com.

Process :
1. Remove old vent,
2. Scrape off all old sealant,
3. Clean the vent pipe and roof (I used acetone) to remove remaining sealant and any oil and wax that might cause new sealant not to stick.
4. Drilled pilot holes for the new vent’s screws,
5. Sealed the old screw holes and around the vent pipe where it comes through the roof with an ample amount of urethane sealant. I also replaced the sealant around the antenna cable since it was nearby.
6. Applied urethane sealant to the mounting flange and in the screw holes of the 360 Siphon and screwed it in place to the roof.
7. Applied urethane sealant around edge of the 360 Siphon mounting flange where it meets the roof.
8. Done!
1993 Airstream B190
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Kentuckian »

After condition :
360 Siphon in place
Attachments
New.jpg
New.jpg (196.78 KiB) Viewed 25235 times
1993 Airstream B190
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Kentuckian »

Pros :
1. According to the company the construction of the vent creates a mild suction at the roof vent when a breeze flows across it (vehicle stationary or moving). This mild suction draws air from the waste tank reducing potential of unpleasant odors in the cabin. A smoke chamber demonstration video is available at the company’s web site. I have no idea if it works. But, the concept is good and we are giving it a try.

2. Unit appears to be well made. Fit and finish is good.

3. Comes with sealant putty. I didn’t use it because I already had the Urethane sealant in my caulking gun.

4. Good online reviews.

5. Made in Canada (…not China which is a plus for me <smile>)

Cons :
Price is $29 compared to $2 for the factory replacement vent.

I will try to remember to add a note in a couple of months to let you know how it works.
1993 Airstream B190
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Replacement for waste tank roof vent

Post by skater »

It certainly looks nice!
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Wakeslayer
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Post by Wakeslayer »

Nice work !!

I had mine replaced right after we bought it. i was in a time crunch and had a dealer do it.
Just get on the Bus!!

Mike & Barbara
Eamonn McG
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1992

Post by Eamonn McG »

What model/where'd you buy this cover? my vents been off for some time now i need to get on that. Also, do you know where you could find a factory replacement?
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Kentuckian »

The vent that I installed is a 360 Siphon product from 360productsinc.com. I wanted to try something different.

One of these might be a replacement for your factory vent... http://www.rvlifestyles.net/c-15610-ven ... teid=10539
1993 Airstream B190
slapthecat
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990

Post by slapthecat »

I didn't realize mine was missing. I have the cap over the pipe, but no housing! I did find pieces of it under the sealant, still screwed to the top. I can't find a picture of the original, but I'm *assuming* it's something like this here:
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/it ... hite/35181

The question i'm having for anyone that can help - is the exhaust pipe that goes through the roof (inside the back closet on my '90) free standing? Or is it sealed to the roof on the outside? From what I can tell based on the plastic remnants and different types of sealant that were used, it looks like the housing was sealed to the roof, keeping water out, and the cap goes into the pipe, diverting rain to the outside of the housing - leaving the pipe floating through the roof. Is that correct?
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

slapthecat wrote:I didn't realize mine was missing. I have the cap over the pipe, but no housing! I did find pieces of it under the sealant, still screwed to the top. I can't find a picture of the original, but I'm *assuming* it's something like this here:
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/it ... hite/35181

The question i'm having for anyone that can help - is the exhaust pipe that goes through the roof (inside the back closet on my '90) free standing? Or is it sealed to the roof on the outside? From what I can tell based on the plastic remnants and different types of sealant that were used, it looks like the housing was sealed to the roof, keeping water out, and the cap goes into the pipe, diverting rain to the outside of the housing - leaving the pipe floating through the roof. Is that correct?
The base would be sealed to the roof of the van, so it doesn't leak. I think you have the idea. If you have to replace the base, be sure to clean off all of the old gunk and reseal it well.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Kentuckian »

Slapthecat-
The way you described the mounting is exactly how mine was configured. "it looks like the housing was sealed to the roof, keeping water out, and the cap goes into the pipe, diverting rain to the outside of the housing - leaving the pipe floating through the roof. Is that correct?"
1993 Airstream B190
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Kentuckian »

By the way, we have lived with the "360 Syphon" for a year and a half now with no concerns.
1993 Airstream B190
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992

Post by lido14co »

My 92 had an old ventline and the top came off. The current edition has a set screw that holds the cap on model V2049. If you scrape off the caulking you should see the mounting screws for the base. The mounting holes from the new model match the old one.

Cliff
slapthecat
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990

Post by slapthecat »

My local guy had a Camco Vent Kit - just about $7 - looks exactly like the vent pic in the previous post. There were two sets of holes in the van top - and this didn't line up with either! (Well, two or three holes lined up, but not enough to use) Rotated it a bit, filled in the old holes with some marine epoxy and drilled pilot holes for the next screws. Voila! She's is done!!!