Front mounted Tow Hitch

Towing with the B190
weekender
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

Front mounted Tow Hitch

Post by weekender »

Has anyone done it? Any drawbacks? I would like one for a cargo carrier. I like my bike rack on the rear because it does not require any modifications for clearance. The cargo carrier on the back can frequently drag if I'm not paying attention on driveways. I expect I would have less clearance issues with the cargo carrier on the front.

Thanks for any thoughts
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

Its not a bad idea actually.

If I were going to do that, rather than having a single on-center mount like a rear trailer hitch has I'd make a mount bolted to the bottom of both frame ends, therefore having a pair of square tubes supporting it, next size smaller that a hitch, which is 2 inch.....so I'd use 1 1/2" square tube

The alternative of course might be to use a rear hitch and do whatever kind of modifications it might take to install it on the front.

I'll take a look, stay tuned
weekender
Seasoned Traveler

Post by weekender »

I've been in touch with our local U Haul dealer-- they have a good reputation here. They have done a front hitch on the Ford E350 before-- there is a standard hitch that is listed in their "fit software". I'm having it done this Friday, $250 installed, 2" receiver. I'll let all know when it is done, and post some pix.

Also having my electrical connection converted to a twist connect by the dealer--about $175 for the parts and install

Steve
Alaskan
Site Admin

Post by Alaskan »

Steve....I put one of those big ole rear carriers on a friends rig, one of the things I didn't like was it moved up/down at the outer edges quite a lot due the the receiver not being a very tight fit

I corrected that by drilling a 9/16" hole centered on the bottom and tig welded a 1/2"-13 nut over that hole...that way I could run a short 1/2-13 bolt in to pinch the receiver tube therefore taking all the slack out.....which made the entire carrier much more stable.

Being out it the front you are going to see all that movement...
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

weekender wrote:Also having my electrical connection converted to a twist connect by the dealer--about $175 for the parts and install
Is this for the 120 volt connection? I've wanted to do that but never got around to it. It'd definitely be a good upgrade, though.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
weekender
Seasoned Traveler

Post by weekender »

Thanks for the tip on the bolt-- I may have that done as well.... I'm just the type that would be driven crazy by the movement.
weekender
Seasoned Traveler

Post by weekender »

Hey Skater,
Yes, that is the 120 connection-- The original port cover broke--dealt with it for a couple of years. Finally last year looked into the replacement port-- only in white-- painted it silver to match-- cover broke with just a couple of uses. The twist connect port is much better, heavier construction, though still white only. I mostly use the electric hookup at home, most camping I do is boondocking. I have never enjoyed feeding or pulling the cable thru the port, so I suspect I will like this option much better. Pix will follow once I get it done.

Steve
Alaskan
Site Admin

Post by Alaskan »

Just an example for location....drill a 9/16" hole to begin with, that size allows a little clearance for the 1/2" bolt.

I used a stainless 1/2-13 nut so there wouldn't any rust issues later, tig welded around it and used a 1/2-13 x 1" bolt..snug it up tight against the receiver tube...

weekender
Seasoned Traveler

Post by weekender »

So I did end up having a front hitch installed, and used it for a recent 2 week trip. I have a "Hitch Haul" with a plastic box on the front. I found it was a great place to store items I did not want or have room for inside the van-- leveling ramps, a camp stove, camp grill, life jackets and paddles for kayaks-- Outdoor storage is all that is missing from our units.

Turns out, you cannot even see the rack or box from the drivers seat-- not an issue as long as you remember it is there in traffic!

PS, I used the rear hitch for a bike rack and 2 bikes-- the bikes work well on the back, as there are no clearance issues.
Alaskan
Site Admin

Post by Alaskan »

And...it doesn't interfere with any of the lights nor prevent air flow to the radiator...???
weekender
Seasoned Traveler

Post by weekender »

Nope, not in the slightest. In fact, I felt like the engine was running cooler than normal, but I am sure that is just my imagination!
Alaskan
Site Admin

Post by Alaskan »

Toss in a couple pictures...
weekender
Seasoned Traveler

Post by weekender »

I'll post specific pix when I get a moment, but for now, you can see it in my photo gallery-- Weekender-- second page, for my main photo gallery, then last pic is a new album where I have started posting pix of our 2 weeks in Canada-- there are several of the van with the hitchhaul and box in place
Alaskan
Site Admin

Post by Alaskan »

Looks good....lotta stuff hanging out there in front

Are those reflectors around the carrier red....?

Thanks for all the pictures and participating here...

That rigs has Alaska written all over it..... :lol:

Dave...
General Mopars

Re: Front mounted Tow Hitch

Post by General Mopars »

I'm glad I found this thread. I just bought a B190 with a class III tow hitch receiver in the front. I had absolutely no idea what it was for. I imagined somebody flat-towing this tiny motorhome behind some gigantic much-bigger motorhome.