2009 Honda Element 4 wheel drive automatic- Can we flat tow?

Towing with the B190
RobertL
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

2009 Honda Element 4 wheel drive automatic- Can we flat tow?

Post by RobertL »

Wondering if this can be flat towed and what kind of braking and tow systems would work?
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

If it's a manual transmission, yes. I don't know about automatics for those. I tried looking on Honda's site and couldn't find anything. If nothing else, it should be in the owner's manual.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

Robert.....this in from my 2008 Element Owners Manual

TOWING YOUR HONDA BEHIND A MOTORHOME

Your Element can be towed behind a motorhome at legal highway speeds up to 65 mph (100 km/h). Do not exceed 65 mph (100 km/h). Otherwise, severe transmission damage will occur. To avoid damage to the 4WD system, it must be "flat towed" with all four wheels on the ground.

When purchasing a tow bar, make sure you select a reputable manufacturer and installer. Follow the manufacturer's attachment instructions carefully. After attaching the tow bar to your motorhome, do the following Shift Procedure to prepare your Element for "flat towing".

Shift Procedure - 5-speed Manual Transmission

When preparing to tow your Element, make sure the transmission is full of fluid. Do not overfill.
Release the parking brake.
Shift the transmission to Neutral.
Leave the key in the ignition switch and the ignition switch in ACCESSORY (I) so the steering wheel does not lock. Make sure the radio and any items plugged into the accessory power sockets are turned off so you do not run down the battery.

Shift Procedure - Automatic Transmission

Do the following every day immediately before you begin towing. Follow the procedure exactly. Otherwise, severe automatic transmission damage will occur. When preparing to tow your Element, make sure the transmission is full of fluid. Do not overfill.
Start the engine.
Shift to D, then to N. Let the engine run for at least three minutes, then turn off the engine.
Release the parking brake.
Leave the ignition switch in ACCESSORY (I) so the steering wheel does not lock. Make sure the radio and any items plugged into the accessory power sockets are turned off so you do not run down the battery.

Extended Towing - Automatic Transmission

If you tow more than 8 hours in one day (including stopping time), you must stop and repeat the Shift Procedure above. You should repeat the procedure at least every 8 hours. (When you stop for fuel, etc.)

NOTICE:
The steering system can become damaged if the steering wheel is locked. Leave the ignition switch in Accessory (I), and make sure the steering wheel turns freely before you begin towing.

WARNING:
Failure to follow the above procedure exactly will result in severe automatic transmission damage. If you cannot shift the transmission or start the engine, your vehicle must be transported on a flatbed truck or trailer.

CAUTION:
SEVERE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION DAMAGE WILL OCCUR IF THE CAR IS SHIFTED FROM REVERSE TO NEUTRAL AND THEN TOWED WITH THE DRIVE WHEELS ON THE GROUND.

If you tow an Element with automatic transmission, the transmission fluid must be changed every two years or 30,000 miles (48,000 km), whichever comes first.

American Honda does not assume responsibility for any vehicle damage or liabilities incurred due to the towing device, towing vehicle, lighting hookup, or other towing equipment or towing procedures; any responsibility for these items is assumed by the owner/operator.

For more information about towing your vehicle, check your Owner's Manual or contact us.
RobertL
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1993

Post by RobertL »

The more I read the more I think I will get a dolly with brakes and tow my little Scion XA.
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

Towing any vehicle with an automatic transmission can have similar concerns....lack of lubrication of the transmission due to the pump not working during towing.

Exception would be a front-wheel drive only vehicle on a dolly.