Water pump not priming

Keep the water inside the pipes, tanks, and sinks
craigmar
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 0

Water pump not priming

Post by craigmar »

Hi All, anyone out there know how to get a new pump to prime?? I installed a new water pump and all I get is a trickle. I have tried running city water to fill the lines and then turn on the pump. I have tried leaving the pump on with the city water running and have tried just turning the pump on and off numerous times and still cannot get it to prime.
I have an initial burst of good pressure and then just go to a trickle with the pump running. Help!
Thank you for any help, Craig
skater
Site Admin
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Water pump not priming

Post by skater »

craigmar wrote:Hi All, anyone out there know how to get a new pump to prime?? I installed a new water pump and all I get is a trickle. I have tried running city water to fill the lines and then turn on the pump. I have tried leaving the pump on with the city water running and have tried just turning the pump on and off numerous times and still cannot get it to prime.
I have an initial burst of good pressure and then just go to a trickle with the pump running. Help!
Thank you for any help, Craig
Check the filter under the sink (at least, that's where it is in mine - it'll be on the pipe that comes from the water tank). Make sure that's clean. My understanding is that they usually aren't because no one cleans them until there's a problem.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
craigmar
Seasoned Traveler

Waterpump Update

Post by craigmar »

Hi again, just wanted to let you know the problem is solved. Skater, you were right on the mark. Although the water filter seemed to be O.K. before and during the problem described by a visual inspection, I pulled the unit off and and found it was plugged up with plastic shavings which I think were from the original install of the water tank as they looked like shaveings that a drill bit would leave. Probably, from when they installed the sensor units. The shavings were stopped in the inlet and outlet tubes by a spring that was in both hoses that keep the hoses from kinking. After cleaning the above and re-installing the filter, the pump now is pressurizing and working like it should be. I am amazed at the flow and so if anyone is facing the same problem or a slow rate of water flow, the filter should be checked. I think that the flow is as good as or better than when the van is hooked up to street water.
Not ever having owned an R.V. until this one, I didn't know how good the water pump and flow could or should be and therefore thought that the slower flow was standard, but definitly knew that when it dropped off to even slower then when purchased, something was wrong. So, I guess that in closing that if your water supply is less than the flow from the street hookup, it would be worth the time to take the filter unit off completely, inspect and clean.
Thanks again, and I'm glad for this site and the forums. Also check out my post on fuel problems in the Mechanical Forum as I have an update for that problem.
Craig
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

Glad I could help, and I'm glad that's all it was! :)

That filter probably should be a regular maintenance item, but then again, you're only going to find those plastic shavings in there once. :)

Eamonn McG
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1992

Post by Eamonn McG »

Hey guys, was just wondering when you talk about maintaining the filter how exactly do you go about doing that? Is there a solution you need to run through it? I bought my 92 in February and the filter was disconnected when I bought it I guess for winterization. I'm getting ready to fill it up with water and flush the system tonight for the first time since I bought it and was just looking for some extra tips.
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

Eamonn McG wrote:Hey guys, was just wondering when you talk about maintaining the filter how exactly do you go about doing that? Is there a solution you need to run through it? I bought my 92 in February and the filter was disconnected when I bought it I guess for winterization. I'm getting ready to fill it up with water and flush the system tonight for the first time since I bought it and was just looking for some extra tips.
I'd just unscrew the top and clean out the crap.

You can sanitize the entire water system using diluted bleach (I don't have directions to that...but a quick search on Google will probably turn them up). Then you have to flush it to get the bleach smell and taste out. This usually isn't necessary though.