Looking for a new toilet

Keep the water inside the pipes, tanks, and sinks
dbensen
B190 Year: 0
WBCCI: 0

Looking for a new toilet

Post by dbensen »

So I've had my B190 about a nine months and I am still finding the little problems that go along with buying something used. I had to replace several sections of water line because at some point in it's past life it wasn't winterized. The shower fixture also cracked and was leaking. The shower fixture was two seperate events. One was from freezing but the crack, I believe, was from a very very tight fit between the fixture and the refrigerator. The water line were so tight against the fridge that the shower wall was pressed inward. Anyway, I installed a new fixture after shortening the plumbing ends to allow clearence and life seems to be better.
Now I figured I would start fresh with a new toilet. Not measureing I ordered a new Thetford Aqua Magic V to replace the IV. I ordered the tall one only to find that the cabinet door would not open if I installed it. I figuered I had messed up and called the company for an RMA number and ordered the low model. When that arrived it was about two inches lower than the existing one. I wasn't particularly happy but I figured this is the only option until I found out that it wouldn't fit because of the hose cover that runs behind the toilet. I would have to actually cut the plasic to make it fit. It just didn't feel right. I ended up sending them both back and taking a 15 percent restocking fee. That, along with all the money I spent in shipping for delivery and return, and really have nothing to show for it but the knowledge that those don't fit. I will probably just go purchase a new seat and valve assemble and call it done, but I figured I would check with the crew and see if anyone else had better luck. Maybe with a china type or another brand. Just throwing this out there. Sorry for the long post but if it helps someone, it's a good thing. Any thoughts? Thank, Doug
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Re: Looking for a new toilet

Post by Kentuckian »

Hi Doug, I recently replaced the toilet in our '93 since the plastic was getting brittle and cracking. We installed the Thetford Aqua Magic V low profile. I chose that model to make sure that the closet doors would clear the toilet when we opened the closet doors. A bonus for us is that it just seems to take up less room giving a more spacious feeling in the back of the B190. I used a saber saw to open up the rear hose cover so that the cover would snuggly fit over the toilet's base flange. It was an easy install and looks and functions great. If you are tall, this low profile size will have your knees in the air. However, we find it completely useable. Good luck in your search!
Attachments
Theford Aqua Magic V low profile
Theford Aqua Magic V low profile
Thetford.jpg (233.76 KiB) Viewed 9101 times
1993 Airstream B190
dbensen
B190 Year: 0

Post by dbensen »

Well the job is done. I ended up buying all the wear parts for the original toilet. New valve which came with the floor seal, the seal for the blade and a new seat. I used some automotive scratch and swirl remover on all the plastic parts like the base and pedals and it cleaned up really nicely. All in all I probably spent just shy of a new unit for all the parts, but I just couldn't bring myself to cut anything. It was a simple job taking less than an hour. That included the removal and replacement of the toilet. It's one of those little things that make it feel more like its yours. Kentuckian, thanks for the responce an the pictures of you rig. It looks great! I think my next project will be fixing the leaking windows. Thanks again, Doug
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Post by Kentuckian »

Doug, Congratulations on the rebuild. Sounds like a great option and takes you back to the original factory condition. One more thing you can scratch off the todo list.

I have renewing my window gaskets on the our refurbishment list. But it is towards the bottom. My windows still seal just fine. They are just really stiff to open and close and I can see that the existing rubber gaskets are hardened and shrunk. Please, let us know how your window rebuild goes. I'd like to learn from your experience.
1993 Airstream B190