Cold weather

Keep the water inside the pipes, tanks, and sinks
Luvrving
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 0

Cold weather

Post by Luvrving »

The end of Jan I will be leaving AZ to go to Tahoe for 3 days for a family wedding. I will then be returning to AZ so what will I have to do for that short of time when the temp at night will probably be in the 20's. Will my pipes/ hoses break? I will be staying in a hotel during those 3 days.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Myrna/CA
skater
Site Admin
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Cold weather

Post by skater »

Luvrving wrote:The end of Jan I will be leaving AZ to go to Tahoe for 3 days for a family wedding. I will then be returning to AZ so what will I have to do for that short of time when the temp at night will probably be in the 20's. Will my pipes/ hoses break? I will be staying in a hotel during those 3 days.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Myrna/CA
If it's not heated, it might. There's no way to predict at what temperature problems will start. Usually, the issue isn't an overnight dip below freezing; it's when the temperature is cold over a day or two - but it's not hard to envision a cold night being enough to start freezing a line or two. When we leave our trailer un-winterized at home, we set the furnace to run on a low setting. This assumes your battery can hold out, or you can plug in. If that's not possible the only other solution would be to winterize it.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
kitemanks
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1994

Post by kitemanks »

I don't know what the daily temperature is but the rig should be warmer inside than outside during the day due to the passive solar affect. I would set the thermostat near 40. This will keep the pipes from giving you problems. Set it during the day so your not warming up the pipes or anything they just wont get down to freezing in the dead of night. Its way easier to keep it warm than warm it when its cold.
Luvrving
Weekend Camper

Post by Luvrving »

Thanks for everyone's comments. I have a better idea now of what to do. This is such a great site.
Myrna/CA