Replacing the water tank

Keep the water inside the pipes, tanks, and sinks
Mark
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1997
WBCCI: 0

Replacing the water tank

Post by Mark »

I'm thinking that I might replace the water tank in my '97 B190. Right now it hangs down below the differential and is quite close to the ground. I know I'll be driving the rig on dirt roads and I'm afraid it'll hit something in the berm in-between the wheel tracks and break off. Additionally, if I can go with a smaller one and get its bottom above the bottom of the differential, I'll be able to install a sway bar.
It looks to me that there was some damage to it in the past and that it's been remounted. I can't imagine that it is too much of a big deal to replace it.

Comments?
If it ain't fun - it ain't done!
Mark
Seasoned Traveler

Re: Replacing the water tank

Post by Mark »

Ha! This is going to be easy peasy!

I found a place that makes tanks of all sizes and then puts the holes and drains where you need them. I found a tank that is smaller and will fit perfectly and costs less than $130. I'll have to get a new sheet metal case made but that should be easy too.

Stay tuned!

:rofl:
EricZ
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1993

Post by EricZ »

Mark,

Like most RVs, my 1993 Airstream 190 has three water tanks: fresh water, grey water, and black water.

In my 190 (and, I believe, in all years) the fresh water tank is inside (to protect it from freezing) and the grey and black water tanks are mounted under the vehicle aft of the differential. When you say "the water tank," I'm thus guessing you're talking about either the grey or black water tank, or maybe about both tanks.

In my 190, and in the others I've seen, the grey and black water tanks don't hang below the differential. I wonder if yours is different than when it left the factory, either because it's been changed or because something's wrong?
Mark
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Mark »

Hmmm.... yes, I am talking about the fresh water tank.

I've looked everywhere and sure haven't seen a fresh water tank inside the rig. Where would it be? You are right though, I may be talking about the gray water tank.

I'm at least two weeks away from working on it.

thanks.
Mark
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Mark »

I just looked at it and I'm pretty sure my thinking is correct.

The black tank is directly under the toilet (which is set up on a little pedestal). The gray water tank is outside, underneath at the very back of the rig. I've dealt with emptying it and have followed the plumbing back to it. I can feel around and can follow the in-flow pipe from the inlet on the outside to the tank I'm thinking is the fresh water tank.
Mgittrich
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Mgittrich »

Mark, on my 93 B190 the fresh water tank is under the two drawers to the left of the kitchen sink. Essentially, if your enter the camper through the right side of the double doors it is behind the left door buried in the cabinetry. The only tanks outside are the grey and black water tanks in the very back on my 93.

I hope this helps.

Mike
Mark
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Mark »

Thanks, Mike,

I spent some quality time under my rig today and I'm sure what I think is the fresh water tank is just that.

Cheers,
weekender
Seasoned Traveler

Post by weekender »

93's and earlier have the tank under the kitchen counter. 94's and later, it outside essentially under the kitchen floor.
Travelisaverb
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1995

Post by Travelisaverb »

On my 1995 it's under the drawers, hidden in the cabinetry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk