Dump cap replacement?

Keep the water inside the pipes, tanks, and sinks
mtnmanb
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 0

Dump cap replacement?

Post by mtnmanb »

I didn't see a title on this one yet. I recently noticed that the dump cap was missing the gasket and was easily screwing and unscrewing off. I went to the RV store and asked for a new gasket, they said they don't sell gaskets, just new caps. No problem as the new cap cost maybe 8 bucks. I get the new cap....doesn't fit. I go to Camping World, buy a different cap that has the similar grey water cap insert on it....doesn't fit.

Has anyone replaced the cap and know where I could find one? Seems that all caps sold at my local RV store and Camping World doesn't fit. Also, as I was driving down the street, I heard a clickity click sound, yup, it unscrewed itself and was bouncing around last night. Now it doesn't have the grey water fitting on it anymore, sheared off and it's just an open hole. Now I can't replace the gasket anymore, I have to find a new cap. Please help!

B
'90 bought 27Apr2012
Added Safe-T Stabilizer shock, port. generator, EZE RV gutters, curtains, memory foam 5.5" mattress, rebuilt bunk, Double Pancake LED light, O2 sensor, shore plug, 4655 Converter, Battery under couch, MaxxFan Fantastic Fan
skater
Site Admin
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Dump cap replacement?

Post by skater »

I'm going to need a picture to know what you mean. Mine had a standard 3" (I think) cap on it. And I'm not sure what gasket you are referring to.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
mtnmanb
Weekend Camper

Post by mtnmanb »

it's a gasket inside the cap. I'll try to take a picture (after cleaning it a bit ;) )

Although we stick to a strict rule in the Basher van. No number two! :lol:

B
'90 bought 27Apr2012
Added Safe-T Stabilizer shock, port. generator, EZE RV gutters, curtains, memory foam 5.5" mattress, rebuilt bunk, Double Pancake LED light, O2 sensor, shore plug, 4655 Converter, Battery under couch, MaxxFan Fantastic Fan
skater
Site Admin
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

mtnmanb wrote:it's a gasket inside the cap. I'll try to take a picture (after cleaning it a bit ;) )

Although we stick to a strict rule in the Basher van. No number two! :lol:
I've heard of people doing that with campers, or even not using the toilet at all. Not me; I bought the camper and I use it! :)
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
EricZ
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1993

Post by EricZ »

My 1993 Airstream 190 has what's been described to me as a "basic Valterra" style drain fitting. I think the most common NON-compatible style is Thetford.
Both Valterra and Thetford use a sort of 3" bayonet fitting. To the untrained eye (which includes me) they are not obviously different.

Mine (like most) is held with a rubber tether, so that if I forget to put the cap on, at least I'm unlikely to lose it. These caps are available as a plain cap or with a 0.75" garden-hose style fitting. They're so cheap I keep a spare of each style on hand.
mtnmanb
Weekend Camper

Post by mtnmanb »

I bought the Valterra cap and the E-Z Coupler Valve Cap, both didn't fit, too small.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/it ... e-cap/5854

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/it ... n-cap/6384

The current plug is white with a hose connector, making me think it's a Thetford. Camping World doesn't have them. I'll take a picture this weekend.

B

Edit;
Oooh, I think I found it with a Thetford search. This looks like it! Looks like it is a 4" fitting instead of a 3" like the Valterra. Let's hope it fits...
http://www.amazon.com/Thetford-02283-Ga ... pter+02283
'90 bought 27Apr2012
mtnmanb
Weekend Camper

Post by mtnmanb »

Woohoo! The white Thetford cap fit! Thanks EricZ for the explanation on the two types as I thought it was just one universal style.

B)
'90 bought 27Apr2012