marko
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1989
WBCCI: 0

Water heater drainage hole leaking

Post by marko »

Hello!!

First of all I'm very happy to find this forum -

I'm 3 months into my 1989 B190 E350 Airstream and I'm loving it (apart from the gas miles!)

So I've been unable to use the water heater - after clearing out hundred of animal nests I finally got it to spark but then it would shut off because there was no water in it -

An awkward head too close to toilet inspection revealed that the hot and cold pipes had been disconnected and plugged by previous owner - I hoped because there was no winterised cut off valve (something I would love to know how to install - but thats for another question) -

So I reconnected the pipes, turned the heater on and the pump - it was going for a while before I noticed that it was pour in alright but then just leaking out of the outlet valve.

So this valve doesn't look like any I've seen online - it looks like it's a tube going into the tank -

what do I do please?

Thanks

Mark
Attachments
outlet pipe 3.jpg
outlet pipe 3.jpg (202.33 KiB) Viewed 17231 times
outlet pipe 2.jpg
outlet pipe 2.jpg (192.27 KiB) Viewed 17231 times
nvestysly
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1998
WBCCI: 16771

Re: Water heater drainage hole leaking

Post by nvestysly »

You're right, that does look unusual. I don't see a hex shape or some sort of wrench area that would permit you to remove the entire valve body from the water heater tank.

If I follow you correctly you're saying water is coming out of the petcock shown in the picture. It's possible the petcock is in the open position and has been in that position for several years if the previous owner drained the water tank. Perhaps all you need to do is close the petcock. Remember, petcocks have left hand threads so to open and close the petcock valve you turn it in the opposite direction to normal threads. In the event you cannot reach the petcock to turn it you may find a special wrench at your hardware or auto store. Here's a link to a wrench set on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-60450-Radia ... B00B01H5E2

Your petcock appears to be rusty/oxidized so it may help to put a small amount of penetrating oil on the threads before you try to turn it. However, be careful, you don't want penetrating oil inside the water heater and flowing in your pipes.

If none of that works you need to go to a machine shop or auto repair shop or a good RV repair center that can assist you in removing the entire valve. My uncle used to specialize in this type of thing - unusual situations that require ingenious solutions for your car, truck, tractor, etc. The important thing for him was bring it to him before you screw it up. He disliked fixing the problem after somebody else had already made the problem worse.

After the valve body is removed you can re-install a more conventional plastic plug for the drain. By the way, the plastic plug is typically used for this application to avoid the corrosion that occurs with dissimilar metals. The tanks on an RV water heater are made of aluminum an corrosion can be a problem if the wrong metallic plugs are used. Thus, the plastic plugs like this one http://www.amazon.com/Atwood-91857-Drai ... eater+plug

Good luck.
We sold our 1998 B190, V-10
Currently own a 2010 Airstream Interstate
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

Good reply above. It looks like the valve is open to me. Maybe a heat gun with some penetrating oil will get it closed. Since we don't usually drink the hot water, a little oil should not hurt anything. As said above, don't bugger it up so bad that an "expert" won't want to fix it. I would go easy on turning, both open and closed to see if you can get it to start moving.

Good luck
marko
Weekend Camper

Post by marko »

Thanks for the above

Not sure exactly what I'm turning? Is it the nut at the back of the tube or the tube itself?

Thanks

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
marko
Weekend Camper

Post by marko »

So I filled the tanks again and tightened the valve - but still pours out - should it have a rubber stopper in it or something? It looks too small a hole for the plastic but you linked in ?

nvestysly
Seasoned Traveler

Post by nvestysly »

A rubber stopper is not used in this case. The petcock is the valve and turning it counterclockwise opens the valve and turning it clockwise closes the valve. Are you certain you turned it the correct direction? I may be able to post pictures later but right now I'm having a smartphone/computer malfunction.

On edit: closer inspection of your pictures indicates the petcock body does have a hex so a wrench can be used to remove the valve. It will take some patience as it's difficult to access the petcock with the solenoid and exhaust vent in place. However, if you determine the existing petcock leaks in the closed position it can be removed and a new petcock installed. Petcocks can be purchased at hardware stores and automobile supply stores.
nvestysly
Seasoned Traveler

Post by nvestysly »

See the pictures below for examples of a closed and open petcock. When the valve is closed notice the exposed threads on the stem between the body and the "handle." When the valve is open the handle is very close to the body and you don't see any of the threads on the stem.
Attachments
Closed Petcock
Closed Petcock
closed.jpeg (170.23 KiB) Viewed 17194 times
Open Petcock
Open Petcock
open.jpeg (170.67 KiB) Viewed 17194 times
marko
Weekend Camper

Post by marko »

Oh right - totally counter intuitive - so it closes when it comes out?! Where can I get a new on as mine looks rusted?

Also is this where the element is?thanks

Mark

marko
Weekend Camper

Post by marko »

Nightmare!! Ok so closed the valve - water not coming from there but then after tank is full it over flows somewhere from the top of the tank I can't see as toilet is in the way?!?!? - what to do?

skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

marko wrote:Oh right - totally counter intuitive - so it closes when it comes out?! Where can I get a new on as mine looks rusted?

It's a gas water heater, not electric (unless it's been modified with one of those electric elements like the Hott Rodd) - there is no element.

I never knew there was a petcock under the tank for them. Wow. The directions are pretty clear for winterizing that you only need to drain out the side, and any remaining water in the tank that subsequently freezes won't be enough to cause a problem. So, I wonder why that's there - seems like just another place to have a leak, as you've noticed.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
nvestysly
Seasoned Traveler

Post by nvestysly »

skater wrote:
marko wrote:Oh right - totally counter intuitive - so it closes when it comes out?! Where can I get a new on as mine looks rusted?

It's a gas water heater, not electric (unless it's been modified with one of those electric elements like the Hott Rodd) - there is no element.

I never knew there was a petcock under the tank for them. Wow. The directions are pretty clear for winterizing that you only need to drain out the side, and any remaining water in the tank that subsequently freezes won't be enough to cause a problem. So, I wonder why that's there - seems like just another place to have a leak, as you've noticed.
Skater, I think you may have misunderstood. If I'm following marko and the pictures, the petcock is on the side of the tank like normal. The problem marko had with the petcock was not understanding which way to turn the petcock to close it. The thing I found odd is the petcock appears to be installed into a bushing that is permanently installed in the side of the tank. There are no flats (or hex) to remove the large bushing in the side of the tank. It does appear the petcock has a hex so it can be removed/replaced if needed.

Now that marko has closed the petcock there is a leak from another area. We can only guess at this point where that water is coming from. Could be a broken fitting or pipe. Could be a hole in the water heater tank due to damage. Maybe marko already has a bypass valve installed for the water heater and that valve is open or somehow leaking. It may require removing some interior panels or even the toilet to further investigate.
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

nvestysly wrote:Skater, I think you may have misunderstood. If I'm following marko and the pictures, the petcock is on the side of the tank like normal. The problem marko had with the petcock was not understanding which way to turn the petcock to close it. The thing I found odd is the petcock appears to be installed into a bushing that is permanently installed in the side of the tank. There are no flats (or hex) to remove the large bushing in the side of the tank. It does appear the petcock has a hex so it can be removed/replaced if needed.
Very possible I misunderstood. I took the pictures to show a petcock mounted on the side or bottom of the water heater tank, which is something I wasn't aware of. Of course I am aware of the outside drain (inside the access panel on the side of the camper), and you can buy petcocks to put in there to replace the plastic plug, but I didn't think that's where his pictures were from. I could be wrong, though.

marko
Weekend Camper

Post by marko »

Yes skater the petcock is on the outside side where the hex should be - the problem is the water coming from above inside - it's not the two inlet and outlet pipes unless there is another one for what reason I don't know - above the unit?!? - going to have to shut it off again for now so I can have water to the rest of the rv?! - but if I need to replace the unit - what am I looking for?

skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

marko wrote:Yes skater the petcock is on the outside side where the hex should be - the problem is the water coming from above inside - it's not the two inlet and outlet pipes unless there is another one for what reason I don't know - above the unit?!? - going to have to shut it off again for now so I can have water to the rest of the rv?! - but if I need to replace the unit - what am I looking for?
Ahhh, okay. Sorry, definitely misunderstood.

It's very possible the tank itself is leaking; they don't last forever, and yours looks pretty rusty. As I said somewhere (you've posted a couple threads with similar/related questions, so I'm not sure where it was), the easiest/safest thing to do is replace the water heater with another Atwood.

marko
Weekend Camper

Post by marko »

So do I just search Atwood water heater? Is it a 6 gallon as standard? How can I be sure I'm getting the right one ?? Thanks m