Water Heater replacement

Keep the water inside the pipes, tanks, and sinks
marko
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1989
WBCCI: 0

Water Heater replacement

Post by marko »

So my water heater is leaking from the top -I can't see where - but its not the inlet or outlet water tubes -

I reconnected the pipes when I bought the van and I think the water heater was known to be broken thats why it was shut off.

How can I

A) See what the problem is?
B) Remove the heater?
C)get a new one and what is the model number or type or will any one fit - mine is E350 1989

thanks

Mark
slapthecat
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990

Re: Water Heater replacement

Post by slapthecat »

Check out Alaskan's thread on replacing the tank on the heater.
http://b190.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=133

Getting it out is fairly simple. Disconnect water lines, disconnect propane line, take out the screws around the frame, then use a putty knife to get out the caulking between the frame and body of the van, then slide it out.
marko
Weekend Camper

Post by marko »

Hi thanks - but I'm still not sure what model to get if I need a new one - are they all universally shaped?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

marko wrote:Hi thanks - but I'm still not sure what model to get if I need a new one - are they all universally shaped?
Mostly. The easiest thing to do is get another Atwood 6 gallon. The other brand of 6 gallon would also fit but there's more likely to be minor issues, like the pipes in the wrong place (not that the Atwood will necessarily be plug-and-play; you're just reducing the odds of having issues). There are also on-demand models available that might require more plumbing. Obviously a 10 gallon water heater will be much larger, so I would avoid that.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
droadrunner
B190 Year: 0

Post by droadrunner »

I replaced mine in my 94 last year. After removing the floor of the closet, it was a pretty straight forward exchange as noted by others in this post. After checking around I purchased mine directly from Airstream in Jackson Center OH for the same price as I found elsewhere. Giving them the year etc of yours, they will ensure the correct unit.
Last edited by droadrunner on Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
droadrunner
B190 Year: 0

Post by droadrunner »

Perhaps I should have provided a few additional comments. First I live close to Airstream so I had no shipping to pay, but did have sales tax which would probably balance out.
2nd. The previous owner had also bypassed my water heater and only after attempting to fill it did I discover that it had a crack on the back side from freezing.
3rd. I have lived in the camper approx 4 months during this past year, 3 of them in AK and still have yet to use the water heater. When hot water is needed I simply heat what I need on the gas range. (note I have not used the shower for showering) Would I go to the trouble and expense of replacing the water heater again--probably not.
marko
Weekend Camper

Post by marko »

Thanks guys - good advice - not sure how to remove the floor in the closet - would it involve cutting it out? Anyway I am showering in the van so hot might be a bonus and when I come to sell her defiantly a bonus :)

nvestysly
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1998
WBCCI: 16771

Post by nvestysly »

If your van is like ours the wood panels in closet are removed by simply removing several Phillips head screws. Our closet has several wood panels that need to be removed to access the water heater. Just take your time and remove the screws methodically, paying attention to the fact that you may have several screw lengths depending on how the panels are installed. I think we have a dozen or so screws and all the panels are able to be removed.
We sold our 1998 B190, V-10
Currently own a 2010 Airstream Interstate
marko
Weekend Camper

Post by marko »

Good to know - I'll investigate - thanks