Water pump just runs and runs....

Keep the water inside the pipes, tanks, and sinks
Mark
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1997
WBCCI: 0

Water pump just runs and runs....

Post by Mark »

My fresh water tank is less than half full and I've used the rig only once this year, two weeks ago. Just now, I needed water so I started up the pump and it just ran and ran. I got a fair bit of pressure, not the best I've ever had. I'm wondering if I have a leak or something. I don't remember the pump having to run that long.
If it ain't fun - it ain't done!
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992

Re: Water pump just runs and runs....

Post by lido14co »

I did a web search and it looks like there are several reasons that cause this. Could be a leaky check valve on the city water connection. Take the cap off the city water and run the pump. If water comes out of the city water connection it's the check valve.
Many pumps have a pressure adjustment screw that may need adjusting.
With the lower pressure you're getting I expect the pump is going. You could pull the pump and try it in a bucket of water to see if it's pumping.
Last suggestion would be to make sue you're getting water to the shower. Maybe as simple as running the shower to get system pressure.
Good luck. Hope it's something simple. We love our old beasts!

Cliff
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

The most likely explanation is air in the lines - the pump won't build sufficient pressure with air in the lines. The other things lido14co mentioned are also possibilities. Another possible explanation is that for some reason the pump isn't picking up water from the tank. Is the metal screen filter (should be just before the pump) clogged, and is that filter closed correctly?
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
nvestysly
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1998
WBCCI: 16771

Post by nvestysly »

skater wrote:The most likely explanation is air in the lines - the pump won't build sufficient pressure with air in the lines. The other things lido14co mentioned are also possibilities. Another possible explanation is that for some reason the pump isn't picking up water from the tank. Is the metal screen filter (should be just before the pump) clogged, and is that filter closed correctly?
It seems like no two situations are the same but I'll chime in on the clogged filter idea. When we purchased a B190 last year the pump would run almost continuously and would build pressure but could not deliver a steady volume of water. We'd turn on the faucet, a reasonable amount of water would come out for a short period of time and then the flow would reduce significantly.

Turns out it was a clogged filter at the inlet of the pump. The filter was easy to remove - as said above it is simply a fine screen - and we cleaned it. That prompted me to flush the fresh water tank several times - wow, was it ever cruddy!

So maybe your problem is a clogged filter. It's certainly worth checking.
We sold our 1998 B190, V-10
Currently own a 2010 Airstream Interstate
Mark
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Mark »

Thanks.

It was air in the lines. I opened the bathroom faucets and shower and air poured out of them. I shut them off and the pump stopped a few minutes later. I've cleaned that filter also.

People really do like the old rigs, I get comments all the time about how nice mine is.
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992

Post by lido14co »

Congrats on the simple and free fix!

Cliff
Mark
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Mark »

I sometimes store stuff in the bathroom and shower. A few times those items have hit the faucets and the water runs and soaks everything. I've shut off those valves but there must have been air in the lines from when I drained them last fall.

My rig is so buffed out right now, I can't wait to get on with my trip starting April 1st!!!!!