Needing a new sewer hose and clear elbow for a 1999

Keep the water inside the pipes, tanks, and sinks
SeaQuinn
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1999
WBCCI: 0

Needing a new sewer hose and clear elbow for a 1999

Post by SeaQuinn »

Howdy folks! Now that the weather in the Northeast has finally turned I'm getting my 1999 rig ready to roll and so my posts will be rolling in:) The rig didn't come with a sewer hose. Any recommendations on sewer hose brand and lengths (one 20 footer, two ten footers, one fifteen footer, etc)? What length and diameter fits in the on board storage? Any must have sewer accesories? What clear elbow is best for these rigs 45 or 90 degree. Last waste managemt system I used for my VW camper was a 5 gallon bucket so this is all new to me :-) Thanks.
garydi
B190 Year: 1993

Re: Needing a new sewer hose and clear elbow for a 1999

Post by garydi »

You might try Wall Mart for the cheapest and sometimes best hoses and supplies. Two 90s should work with two lengths of hose. While you are there buy some disposable gloves too along with some toilet preservative.
Lou0403
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1966

Post by Lou0403 »

I don't know if the sewer storage is the same on the 1999 as on my 1996, but my storage only holds a short sewer hose. I had one of those storage pipes attached to my bumper to hold a much longer hose.
Mgittrich
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Post by Mgittrich »

I also attached a storage pipe to the rear bumper of my 93. I also keep a shoter hose in the original storage location and put them together if I need a really long sewer hose.

Mike
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

You can buy the traditional cheap sewer hose like this (they used to be blue), but note some jurisdictions require a solid connection to the actual drain in the ground - that is, they don't want you to just slip the pipe in the hole. I assume this is to reduce the chance of spills, plus it's probably a bit more sanitary if you think about the outside edge of that pipe and where it just was...

When I had the B190, we had this set. It worked well, but I don't think it fit in the provided storage - the ends of the pipes being too large, I think. I would store it under the shower with the electrical cord, and that worked fine for me. We had to replace the set after several years of hard use, and we bought the same one again. (I'm a little disappointed - the first version of that set came with an adapter that could stay on the B190, because it had it's own cap. The second version and what they currently sell come with an adapter you have to put on each time. Not a huge deal, but it was nice being able to just slip on the pipe without having to bother with the adapter.)

For the trailer we bought this set, plus a 5-foot extension which we rarely use. The 5-foot extension fits in the plastic storage tube under our trailer, but the 15-foot hose doesn't, simply because it's too long, even when as short as possible (in hindsight, the 2-10' pack might have been a better choice). I really like this set - it's very solid, connections are good, and it holds the shape you put it in. The connections are so tight that when I have the caps on it, I can't expand it because air can't get in; I have to remove a cap before I can do anything with it. The downside to that is that it doesn't dry out between trips, though, so I have to be careful when I remove those caps. The elbow on this isn't clear, but it is translucent, so you can see when liquids are moving past it without getting too much detail... I assume I wouldn't be able to see well in the dark, but I generally go by sound anyway - you can hear when the tank done draining.

I keep a pack of hand wipes next to the hose in our storage in the trailer. After I put the hose away, my next move is to grab one of those to clean my hands. They stay there year round without concerns about freezing, and it's much better than washing your hands in cold water. Or you can get the plastic gloves that garydi mentioned.

Note, since you mentioned being new to this: Dump the black tank first, close that valve, then open the gray tank and let that drain to 'flush' the hose out. I then disconnect from the camper and rinse the hose with fresh water and shake it out before disconnecting from the sewer connection in the ground.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
SeaQuinn
Seasoned Traveler

Post by SeaQuinn »

Thanks everybody. Much appreciated!
Alaskan
Site Admin

Post by Alaskan »

Unlike the earlier B190's....his 1999 would have a storage tube just behind the driver-side rear tire...

As seen at far left in this picture....(gray cap on tube)

twistedskipper
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 0

Post by twistedskipper »

My '99 doesn't have a storage tube. Can anyone confirm what size tube fits there and what size hose fits in it? Was it really a factory installation?
--
Tim
1999 B190
Alaskan
Site Admin

Post by Alaskan »

yep...it was factory...that tube went frame-rail to frame-rail...all the way across the bottom on the rig

Stay tuned for measurements.....
SeaQuinn
Seasoned Traveler

Post by SeaQuinn »

Howdy. I just got my rig back from the shop. The tube is 46 inches long and the interior diameter is 4 inches. The cap indicates that it the the E-Z Hose Carrier brand.
twistedskipper
Weekend Camper

Post by twistedskipper »

On my '99, a sewer hose storage tube at that location can't be more than 18" or so due to the fresh water tank hanging down behind the rear axle. I don't know if my fresh water tank is unusual or non-factory in its location.

I am going to try angling a storage tube back from that location so it will go between the fresh water and grey water tanks at an angle, but I'll feel lucky if I can get more than 36" in there.
--
Tim
1999 B190
twistedskipper
Weekend Camper

Post by twistedskipper »

Alaskan or SeaQuinn,

Can you show a photo of where the tube fits amongst the tanks? My fresh water tank blocks anything longer than about 18" at that location.

I could possibly put a nearly full-width tube in between the fresh and grey water tanks from the other side, right behind the exhaust behind the right rear wheel.

Thanks!
--
Tim
1999 B190
SeaQuinn
Seasoned Traveler

Post by SeaQuinn »

Twistedskippe: as soon as it stops raining I'll craw under the rig for a few pics.
SeaQuinn
Seasoned Traveler

Post by SeaQuinn »

ImageImageImage

Here are the pics of the sewer hose storage under my 1999.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk