Shower hose connection leaking

Keep the water inside the pipes, tanks, and sinks
Kyle
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1989
WBCCI: 0

Shower hose connection leaking

Post by Kyle »

Another question for the experts! As I attempted to test the shower for the first time. I noticed that when I cut on the water its leaking pretty bad from the outlet (on the control valve) for the hose. Is it possible to disassemble that setup and tighten down the outlet underneath the cover, reassemble, and then test. I hope that makes sense.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Do you mean the shutoff by the sprayer, or the faucet itself?

The shutoff by the sprayer will leak some. Or at least every one I've ever used does, perhaps they were all messed up. :) Worse they seem to leak only cold water, so when you turn it back on you get a nice blast of hot. Don't ask me how it does that...

If it's leaking badly you should be able to take it apart - don't forget to use Teflon tape when you put it back together. Presumably they have some sort of O-ring or washer in there that goes bad over time.

The faucet itself is a bigger issue. If it's leaking out the knobs you should be able to get new O-rings in there, but if you need more than that I can't help because I'm not sure how to get to the back of the faucet.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Kyle
Weekend Camper

Post by Kyle »

After taking everything apart in the shower last night i found the problem to be related to the piece that connects the shower head hose to the faucet itself. It seems like it is some type of pressure relief valve built in to that piece. Once i have the h/c turned on then it seems not to run as bad. Is that normal? If so, then i am ok with it. But the problem is the water that is coming out of it is running along the faucet top and POSSIBLY getting behind the wall and eventually rotting away the inside of the wall of floor. I most likely will not utilize the shower that often, but i would like for it to function incase the need arose. I know, need pics.
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

Oooh, I think I see what you mean. I don't think mine leaks there at all, even when I have the nozzle turned off. Can you tell exactly where it's leaking from (the threads or where the threads connect to the hose)? If it's the threads I'd be tempted to try some teflon tape. If it's the hose, you may have replace the hose. I doubt they're very expensive.

Kyle
Weekend Camper

Post by Kyle »

If you take that little piece off you will see that there are pre made holes/slits on the under side. When i cut it on, I hear air either entering or escaping from the line. When i turn it off i get the same noise, either air is escaping or entering the line. I am thinking that it may be a pressure relief valve with a rubber seal inside gone bad. Probably search the net and fid a replacement. Just wanted to see if that was normal or not. Thanks for the info Skater!!
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

My camper is winterized right now or I'd take the hose off mine and look.

By the way, I went to grad school at UGA, and one of my coworkers is from Sylvester. :) It's not warm here like it is there! :)

Kyle
Weekend Camper

Post by Kyle »

Spoke with a local tech in Albany(about 20 minutes east) and he stated that there is a seal in the "stem" that has a cheap washer that can go bad over time. I will just get it replaced and have him diagnose a few other problems while it is there. Thanks for the help!!!
Kyle
Weekend Camper

Post by Kyle »

Replaced the damaged shower connector with a new one, works like a champ. One issue down and the list keeps on going.