Moving Toilet for "Wet Bath" Arrangement

Keep the water inside the pipes, tanks, and sinks
seahuston
B190 Year: 0
WBCCI: 0

Moving Toilet for "Wet Bath" Arrangement

Post by seahuston »

Hey All,

New to B190s and new to the forum. I don't own one currently but I'm actively looking for B190s and also Ford Falcon/O'Kanagan/other similar models. My plan is to use the van for a long term road trip/dwelling with my GF. We've got a lot of outdoor equipment and two bikes that we'd like to store inside.

One thing I have found is a wide array of back end layouts with respect to the bathrooms. And my favorites I've seen has a dinette in the back with a wet bathroom in the closet farther up. I would plan on taking out the dinette and use the back area as a storage closet.

All of the B190s I've seen have the toilet located dead center in the rear. Has anyone looked into moving that to the tub and building a wet bathroom style setup. I know it won't be as nice to use but the space would be really nice. Is this possible or am I crazy?!

slapthecat
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990

Re: Moving Toilet for "Wet Bath" Arrangement

Post by slapthecat »

The toilet is directly over the black water tank - it plumbs directly into the top of the black tank. The grey tank inlet is under the bathtub housing.
Moving the toilet would require either changing the black tank, or plumbing from wherever the toilet ends up to the middle of the van for the existing inlet - which could be bad. You don't get the luxury of a gallon of water per flush to move things along...
seahuston

Post by seahuston »

That's an easy answer and makes a lot of sense. I figured it wouldn't be so easy.
190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler

Post by 190-b-651 »

I've had the same thoughts myself but as slapthecat mentioned the holding tanks would be a problem it would be great to remove the tub and relocate the toilet against the wall in its place.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

190-b-651 wrote:I've had the same thoughts myself but as slapthecat mentioned the holding tanks would be a problem it would be great to remove the tub and relocate the toilet against the wall in its place.
That might actually be possible. It depends where the tank actually is under the floor. But you'd still want to plug the old hole and make a new one...in a plastic tank that's ~20 years old... Actually, now that I think about it, I'd stay away from this project, too!

This doesn't immediately solve the problem, but switching to a shared gray/black tank arrangement might give you more flexibility in design, but it also would introduce a few other concerns.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler

Post by 190-b-651 »

Anything is possible i think its probably only give better access to larger idems entering through the back doors which as far as safety concerns is probably not a good idea anyway. Over the last year we have found products that solved most of my storage issues a folding table by Colman that folds up small enough to fit in the closet and a small bbq that is colapseible and three way fuel (valcano) great for the b190's lack of storage. Next will probably be a bike rack on the front. But i am seriously thinking about removing the tub for more storage and moving the shower to external type.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk
Sector9surf
Weekend Camper

Post by Sector9surf »

I've thought of doing about the same thing. Need room for surfboards etc... Instead, I think we're going to be using the shower area as a place to hang or store wet beach gear and storage. I've seen some campers with upright storage bins on the back which hold surfboards and tons of other gear. They are usually off to one side so you can still open the door if you need to. You might need a custom hitch mount in that case, but it would give you tons of extra room.
Circus
New User

Post by Circus »

I think it can be accomplished by pulling the toilet out, build the showers pan with fiberglass and use a porta potty or a rv macerator toilet in the new position