Water Pump Leak & sub-flour

Keep the water inside the pipes, tanks, and sinks
James Baldwin
New User
B190 Year: 0
WBCCI: 0

Water Pump Leak & sub-flour

Post by James Baldwin »

Went to replace the water pump and old water heater and found sub-floor under the water pump & water heater wet & rotted. I can pull it up and crumble it by hand. The rot seem to extend just forward of the hot water heater & to just outside the water pump. No black mold or anything I can see, but had to stop till get proper protection. Felt slightly allergic to what remained of the wood.

The right rear running light was missing the gasket (fixed) and the water pump had a small leak.

How big of a job is it to pull up and replace the sub-floor in the area and what structure is under the sub-floor. What thickness was the original sub-floor. Go back with plywood or plastic laminate?

Jim
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Re: Water Pump Leak & sub-flour

Post by Kentuckian »

I haven't had to go there on our unit. So can't offer any info.

Try searching. I believe that there is a thread of someone doing a new floor including pulling out the subfloor.
1993 Airstream B190
slapthecat
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990

Post by slapthecat »

Yep... been through it... twice!

I've got lots of pics at http://thetritops.blogspot.com
Look under Water Damage pt1

Send me a msg if I can help!
James Baldwin
New User
B190 Year: 0

Post by James Baldwin »

Thank, The pictures really help. The floor seem solid towards the toilet, but is gone running forward under the closet and maybe under the Refrigerator.

Also need to replace the wood under the refrigerator like you did with metal. The plywood the refrigerator is sitting on is sagging slightly and the new refrigerator won't go all the way in. Currently the black control box on the lower left is hitting the sink drain pipe. Thought I would have to relocate the black control box to get more room, but i see yours fits OK

Looks like I need to pull the toilet, tub, closet, reefer and do it right instead of the small section under the heater & pump.

I don't see rust yet, but need tyvex suit & respirator before start removing floor. I am sure there will be some rust if you found rust.

Hope I don't have to pull whole interior and do all the flooring.

Jim
mountaindent
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992
WBCCI: 19000

Post by mountaindent »

Took the camper for a shake down cruise and was told the plumbing looked good.

HOWEVER, when I turned on the water pump which worked quite well noticed that there was water coming up at the base of the shower which then went under the carpet. So, I ripped up the carpet(which was going to replace anyway because no matter how one cleans it is 25 years old!) Made sure the subfloor got dried out completely and treated it in case of any mold.

I know now the entire plumbing needs to be looked at under the shower and noticed it was leaking from the facet base too. bummer.

Looks like the gentleman did a wonderful repair of his shower rehab. Great pictures
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Choptop »

[quote="slapthecat"]Yep... been through it... twice!

I've got lots of pics at http://thetritops.blogspot.com
Look under Water Damage pt1

Send me a msg if I can help![/quote

GREAT :D pics w/commentary :!: :!:
mountaindent
Seasoned Traveler

Post by mountaindent »

Finally was able to get the back doors open(bad cable on door prevented opening until today)....Does not look wet in the compartment behind the shower. At least access is there now and hopefully, a diagnosis soon. I will show and use your photos in case restoration required. Thanks
slapthecat
Seasoned Traveler

Post by slapthecat »

FWIW - Ive read that the piping used in the vans was stuff used in houses during the 80s, and is known to breakdown. (Which is why i changed everything to PEX when i had the van apart) Not exactly fun, but wasnt difficult either.
Hopefully not your issue! But figured id throw that out there as something to look for. Good luck!
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

slapthecat wrote:FWIW - Ive read that the piping used in the vans was stuff used in houses during the 80s, and is known to breakdown. (Which is why i changed everything to PEX when i had the van apart) Not exactly fun, but wasnt difficult either.
Hopefully not your issue! But figured id throw that out there as something to look for. Good luck!
Correct - they used polybutelene. I want to replumb both our trailer and now our B190 with Pex.

Twice now I've had to cut the polybutelene in the trailer and use Sharkbite adapters, meaning I now have two additional spots for leaks to worry about. To be fair, neither of those were due to the polybutelene itself failing. One was a rubber washer in a fitting at the pump that failed, and I forget what prompted the other one.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
mountaindent
Seasoned Traveler

Post by mountaindent »

skater wrote:
slapthecat wrote:FWIW - Ive read that the piping used in the vans was stuff used in houses during the 80s, and is known to breakdown. (Which is why i changed everything to PEX when i had the van apart) Not exactly fun, but wasnt difficult either.
Correct - they used polybutelene. I want to replumb both our trailer and now our B190 with Pex.

Twice now I've had to cut the polybutelene in the trailer and use Sharkbite adapters, meaning I now have two additional spots for leaks to worry about. To be fair, neither of those were due to the polybutelene itself failing. One was a rubber washer in a fitting at the pump that failed, and I forget what prompted the other one.
Well, the leak appears to have been fixed FOR NOW but, I will make note of the PEX material. Thanks!