Dump valve replacement...

Keep the water inside the pipes, tanks, and sinks
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Dump valve replacement...

Post by skater »

Well, here's a job no one looks forward to. I just did mine and wrote up a summary of the directions here.

Short version: It's a straightforward job, but it's not for those with sensitive stomachs. :)
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
brenda
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

Post by brenda »

just replaced mine this past weekend,what a crap job!!! :x
skater
Site Admin
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

brenda wrote:just replaced mine this past weekend,what a crap job!!! :x
Definitely agree! But I'm happy to say that I'm not getting any leakage at all now. It's nice not having waste sitting there when I pop off the sewer cap.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
craigmar
Seasoned Traveler

dump valve replacement

Post by craigmar »

Finally replaced the dump valves today since I let one of my daughters borrow the van over the weekend and I guess she bottomed the assembly out, just a small drip but steady and so I thought why not. I read the above comments a while back when they were posted and wasn't looking forward to the job but made sure that after dumping the tanks from the weekend stuff, I just filled both tanks a couple of more times with fresh water and dumped em until they ran clear, I left the valves open and drove about fifty or so feet to make sure they were empty of water, closed em and then drove home. During the removal there were about 10 drips of clear water and that was it, after the valves were taken off, I was pleasantly suprised because there was no odor of any kind and the expected unplesant task was actually easier than some of the other repairs and not messey at all except for gluing a peice of 3" pipe and getting the glue on my fingers, I Know, that's what rubber gloves are for, anyway I think if you have to replace the assembly, it pays to make sure you rinse the tanks a few times and make sure they are running clear then you shouldn't have a problem, at least with foul odors.
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

It helps to drive the left-side tires up on blocks to lean the rig which prevents
leakage when ya remove the 4 bolts holding the valve assembly in place

AND, the valves don't really wear out but the 2 lip seals do...one on each side of the valve....and you can buy and replace those very easily.
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

On my 1991 I took that entire dump valve assembly completely apart and separated them and redid did the system there to get it up higher..

All that "junk" hangs down so far its very vulnerable to damage, especially now that our rigs don't sit as high in the rear as they did when new...

On the gray water dump valve as you can see (rear valve) I used a cap with the garden hose outlet as it can easily be emptied in a number of places.

And....if you have a 1997 or newer here is the modification I did

Click this link to another post in the Plumbing Forums
http://b190.com/modules.php?name=Forums ... opic&t=488
craigmar
Seasoned Traveler

Modification

Post by craigmar »

I like what you did. Probably I will try something like that the next time one of the daughters brings it back broken. I had to replace the whole shabang as the bottom half of the black water valve was toast. not a bad job and it took longer to get the parts than to put it back together.