Water Heater BY-Pass

Keep the water inside the pipes, tanks, and sinks
SkipJ
B190 Year: 0
WBCCI: 6951

Water Heater BY-Pass

Post by SkipJ »

Has anyone installed a by-pass for winterizing. I know what goes where but I understand that you can't get fittings for the plumbing that Airstream used when they made mine in 1992.
SkipJ
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Water Heater BY-Pass

Post by skater »

SkipJ wrote:Has anyone installed a by-pass for winterizing. I know what goes where but I understand that you can't get fittings for the plumbing that Airstream used when they made mine in 1992.
If you're talking about the gray plastic pipe, fittings are available. The easiest thing to find is probably the QEST brand stuff - but even those might be tough to come across.

Unfortunately it's a real issue for most of us - even if we just have to replace our water heaters, we'll need to redo those fittings.

I just found this site which might be helpful...
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
SkipJ

Post by SkipJ »

Thanks, I was told by the Airstream service department that all I could do was totally replumb my B-190.
SkipJ
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

SkipJ wrote:Thanks, I was told by the Airstream service department that all I could do was totally replumb my B-190.
SkipJ
That's a little extreme, but I'm not surprised they said it. There's a good reason they don't use this pipe any more, and in fact there was a large lawsuit over it. And I doubt being in a vehicle (rather than a fairly stationary house) helps matters. On the other hand, the water systems in ours aren't constantly pressurized, which probably helps.

The saving grace for us is that it was used in a LOT of mobile homes.

Still, I would consider that if you're cutting into it anyway, you might want to replace it to the next junction, if possible. I probably wouldn't bother, but it's something to consider.

skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

Here is some more information on the polybutylene used in Airstreams, with links for more information. Unfortunately it was the subject of a huge class-action suit but the settlement excluded RVs. :(

My father claims that the Qest fittings aren't right for this type of pipe - but I've been told by other Airstreamers that they'll work. Best to check the package before using them - I hope I didn't give you bad information. Dad claims there is another type of fitting that is white that works much better. He said he'll try to find what it's called for us.

He said the white fittings are more commonly available in the south, and they may be found at mobile home repair places.

Other sites with more info:
Polybutylene.com
Polybutylene lawsuit site...
This Q&A claims there are fittings that will connect polybutylene to pex

This site has a fitting that lets you use Flair-It connections with Polybutylene (with Pex on the other side presumably) - I wonder if that's what my dad is talking about... (Note the link is for a 3/4" adapter, but I think ours are 1/2" pipe.)

The more I read and learn, the more I think replacing the pipe entirely might not be a bad idea after all. For us it wouldn't be that hard to do, since most of the pipes are easily accessible. I think the hardest part would be the connections to the shower, at least for the pre-'97 models (I'm pretty sure you have to remove the stove to get to them...anyone know?).

More info as I find it...

SkipJ

Post by SkipJ »

Thanks, tor the update.
I don't think I want to take the stove out to put the bypass in. That would open another can of worms.
SkipJ
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

SkipJ wrote:Thanks, tor the update.
I don't think I want to take the stove out to put the bypass in. That would open another can of worms.
SkipJ
Taking out the stove was for working on the shower faucet - and the more I think about it, the less I think that's correct. There must be another way to get to the shower faucet.

The water heater bypass shouldn't involve any additional headache.