Replacing 1997+ toilet with compost toilet

Keep the water inside the pipes, tanks, and sinks
festie

Replacing 1997+ toilet with compost toilet

Post by festie »

I'm interested in replacing my 1997 (fiberglass all-in-one bathroom) toilet with a compost toilet. Has anyone done this or have some information about what it might entail?

I believe I would:

- Remove the blackwater tank. I'm not sure what this entails.

- Cut out the fiberglass base under the existing toilet. The compost toilets are 20" tall, and placing one on top of the existing platform would put the seat well above where it's comfortable. Maybe it's easier just to put a stool to climb up to it than it is to cut and lower that platform?

Has anyone seen what's down there or done something similar?

Why?

I never use my toilet because dealing with dumping is such a hassle and gross. I pee in a bottle and use establishment toilets where I can - or poop in a doggy bag if I'm desperate. I find this is way better than driving around with a half-full blackwater tank and concerning myself with when it will be full, having to find a place to empty empty and clean it.
Using Tapatalk
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Replacing 1997+ toilet with compost toilet

Post by skater »

You pee in a bottle and poop in a bag, and yet you think dumping the blackwater tank is gross? :D

I think the tank is literally right under the toilet in those, but I could be wrong - someone with the later shower setup will have to confirm or deny. I think you'd want to remove both. No idea how hard that is to do.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
calimike
Weekend Camper

Post by calimike »

there's a group on Facebook that a guy removed his whole bathroom I believe in a '97. he may have some answers for ya.
I think you'd have to take the whole fiberglass component out and cut and modify out of the van.

if you end up removing the whole shower pan and such and want to get rid of it, I would love to have it.
festie

Post by festie »

skater wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:53 am
You pee in a bottle and poop in a bag, and yet you think dumping the blackwater tank is gross? :D
Yes! Pooping in a bag and throwing it in the trash isn't even close to as bad as driving around with weeks old poop sloshing around in a tank, then hanging around a public poop station and rinsing out all the old poop from my invisible tank. That's my opinion anyhow.

Anyhow, it doesn't seem like this mod is likely worth the trouble.

Still trying to figure out why anyone needs a second sink in a van, tho. Does anyone actually use that for something other than storing random things? I guess it's for when someone is cooking for a dinner party while the guests are waiting on the couch, and you really need to poop and wash your hands? I'd much prefer more room for standing in the shower! I digress.
Using Tapatalk
Jersey747
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1994
WBCCI: 0

Post by Jersey747 »

Hi, I removed my shower tub and toilet from my 94 model ...The toilet dumped (pun intended!) directly into black tank below .tank was located in between main chassis, easy to remove ,held in place with some straps a huge wads of construction glue .The tub actually emptied into a separate gray water tank.. I then decided to go with a stand up shower out of the back door ..with that approach I was able to get rid of both waste tanks and all of the vent tubes going up thru your closets and roof !! My sink waste goes into an 8 gallon jerrycan under sink Works great ....Now no more worrying about tanks during winter etc Only winterize water heater AND no more smells.. I got the domestic cartridge type works great , it’s the honeypot type!!
Hope that helps
Paul
190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 0
WBCCI: 0

Post by 190-b-651 »

Ummm now that I've stopped laughing! Done properly you never smell or see your brown trout lets say it's not the most pleasant thing about a RV but pooping in a bag and throwing it in the trash is not only way worse but illegal. Have you thought about what happens to it after you throw it in the trash your pee to I suppose goes there to right! It goes in a truck to a transfer station where its sorted by humans!
And a composting toilet is more like a kitty little box than a toilet! Dry powder turds is what you want to deal with and a bucket for the pee? Where do you dump that?

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

festie

Post by festie »

That’s something to think about. I didn’t realize it was illegal.
Using Tapatalk
festie

Post by festie »

The pee goes into a gas station toilet usually.
Using Tapatalk
nessab190
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1996

Post by nessab190 »

If you're using landfill approved wag bags then you can typically legally dispose of sealed human waste in dumpsters. Check the bag and local regs but this is something backpackers and climbers do regularly.
DavidP
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1994

Post by DavidP »

I'm with 190-b-651. I was kind of laughing my ass off reading this one too. This is solely just my opinion but why would I struggle peeing in a bottle and pooping in a bag when I can relax and read a magazine in the perfect privacy of my fully self-contained house on wheels! I might be considered a seasoned traveler and am on my fourth RV and my 97 is my 2nd b190 after my 94 which is for sale, but over the years I have learned how to find dump stations without any problems. A little research like knowing every camping world has one along with many truck stops and full service rest stops. We usually locate a dump station that is on our way home before we even leave where we are. And I also have a 25 gallon tote on wheels that I use at home and then put in my septic tank. But if you don't have access to your lid or have City sewage that could be a problem. And don't forget a box of 3 mil gloves from Harbor Freight. I never filled the 94 black tank but on a per flush calculations I think you should get 30+ fishes out of the 97.

As for the smell we haven't had any problems with that. I usually completely wash out the black tank once a year with that wand doohickey thing we got at Camping World and of course properly treat the tank after every dump. And if your toilet won't hold water the flapper seal needs to be replaced because I believe that is usually the number one reason black tank smell emanates into the living area. I have always used the weathervane style vent caps. The new and only one available now is made by Camco.

I haven't seen a composting toilet for any reasonable price. On average it seem they run around $800 +. And you still need to deal with the compost.
kstills
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1996

Post by kstills »

Going to correct some misconceptions here.

It is most certainly NOT illegal to dispose of 'poop' in the trash. Were that the case, disposable diapers would have been outlawed years ago.

While expensive, composting or dry flush toilets are certainly as easy to use as a standard RV toilet. With the added benefit that you get to get rid of the black tank completely.

And the new dry flush toilets are both battery operated and portable, so you can go on the go, so to speak.