Chemical recommendations?

Keep the water inside the pipes, tanks, and sinks
Colorado Coach
Weekend Camper

Chemical recommendations?

Post by Colorado Coach »

Anyone have any advice about what chemicals to use in my black water tank? (I don’t have a gray water tank; everything goes to the black.) Is the stuff from Walmart pretty good? How often would you put it in? I’m a newbie to RV toilets; ANY advice is appreciated.
usachris
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1999

Re: Chemical recommendations?

Post by usachris »

I use the Walex porta pack drop in pouch. I’ve tried other stuff like “tank tech” but, for me, the pouch works fine. I put in a fresh pouch every time I dump the tank. I drop it in the toilet, along with a gallon of water.

Thetford makes a good product called: Thetford RV Toilet Seal Lube and Conditioner. You can get it on Amazon for about $7.80. It’s great for helping extend the life of your toilet rubber seal. I use it about twice a year.

So everything in your rig empties into the black tank? If so you will want to make sure your p-traps never dry out. :wink:
Christopher Salazar
1999 B190 #301352
Colorado Coach
Weekend Camper

Post by Colorado Coach »

Thanks Chris! I think I saw the Welex stuff at Walmart the other day. Seems like it was about $10 for 10-15 packets. I’ll check into that stuff from Amazon as well.

Yeah, I only have a black water holding tank on my ‘88 Okanagan. Not sure if it was designed that way, or if one of the previous owners modified it for some reason. Thanks for the advice about P-traps. Is the best way to deal with that by just pouring some antifreeze down the sink and toilet? (The shower was removed by a P.O. long ago.)
usachris
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1999

Post by usachris »

I don’t think you need antifreeze unless you are winterizing. Maybe someone else can chime in on the evaporating properties of antifreeze. I’d just use water. Actually, since I have the black and grey water tank, I use TST RV Grey Water Odor Control. It supposedly removes grease buildup in your grey water tank, sink and shower drains, and has a lemon scent.
Christopher Salazar
1999 B190 #301352
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

usachris wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:16 am
I don’t think you need antifreeze unless you are winterizing. Maybe someone else can chime in on the evaporating properties of antifreeze. I’d just use water. Actually, since I have the black and grey water tank, I use TST RV Grey Water Odor Control. It supposedly removes grease buildup in your grey water tank, sink and shower drains, and has a lemon scent.
Antifreeze definitely does evaporate - I regularly find pink spots in my shower and the toilet each spring. I suspect it doesn't as much in the tanks, though.

I don't have experience with a single-tank setup, but it probably is that way from the factory - that was a thing RV manufacturers were trying around that time. In fact the owners manual of my '91 indicates it has a single tank, and it goes on and on about the value of the single tank setup...but there are separate tanks. My guess is that the issue is that you can't drain just the graywater with a single tank setup, and that's what usually fills first.

I've been using these in my black tank. They seem fine. I like them because I don't have to worry about them freezing, unlike liquid solutions!
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
kstills
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1996

Post by kstills »

Amsoil makes a propylene glycol based antifreeze. That would take forfreakingever to dry out in a p-trap.