Plumbing leak in T-fitting under shower pan

Keep the water inside the pipes, tanks, and sinks
OnTheRoad
Weekend Camper

Plumbing leak in T-fitting under shower pan

Post by OnTheRoad »

In my 1990 B-van I have a leak a the T-connection under the shower pan. It shoots out a fine spray of water (actually two sprays) when the fresh water pump is turned on.

The T-connection connects to the shower, water pump, and city water connection. The piping I have is semi-rigid grey plastic.

I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion for fixing it? Is there a sealant that can be "painted" onto the connector to seal a pin-sized leak? Otherwise I could possibly replace the T-connection, but the space is tight, so I would need to replace sections of pipe as well.
craigmar
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 0

Plumbing Leak

Post by craigmar »

Hi O.C. Eli,
I have had very good results using a moldable epoxy putty made by P.C. Products. I found it in the plumbing section at Home Depot but I'm sure most hardware or plumbing stores would carry it. The putty comes in a clear tube with a red top and is a length of putty which you can break off a piece to fit the required job. All you do is knead it until it changes color and then just apply it to the job at hand. I have had great success on the outside dump parts and also on a small hole on one of the holding tanks. It has so far weathered nicely and has not leaked on either repair for the past couple of years. I don't know how it would work in your situation but if it was me, I would try the putty first, then go for the big repair job if it failed. The puttty dries rock hard and can be sanded etc. I keep a tube in the van for any emergencys that we all hope won't come up.
Craig
OnTheRoad
Weekend Camper

Post by OnTheRoad »

Thanks Craig. I'll give that a try. It's a very small leak, so I'd prefer to patch it vs a bigger repair.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Unfortunately, if you have the gray polybutelene (I think that's what it's called), fittings can be hard to find for it, because they stopped making it after a massive class action lawsuit that involved them paying to fix houses but not RVs with it. The Qest fittings available in some places will work, and there are other fittings that are even better.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit