Water Heater - stupid ...I know

Keep the water inside the pipes, tanks, and sinks
ralfeez

Water Heater - stupid ...I know

Post by ralfeez »

How does the water heater turn on? Mine was working fine on the last trip and now it won't turn on. What needs to be running for it to work?
thanks,
Ralph
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Assuming you have electronic ignition (flip a switch inside and it starts): the normal cycle is you flip the switch, the light turns on, then it shuts off while it tries to start. If starting fails, the light comes back on. I'm assuming that's the symptom you're seeing...

In mine, it sometimes won't start if the ignitor or whatever has gotten wet, such as when I'm flushing it after the winter. I've found the best thing to do is have someone flip the switch inside while you hold an ignitor in the tunnel where the fire usually is (stand back and to the side for extra safety). Once it lights, it dries everything out enough that it works fine thereafter.

Other potential problems include a lack of gas flow (spiders like propane and sometimes will build nests in the venturi tubes), or a problem with the ignitor electronics. If the ignitor is clicking it's probably okay (or will be once it dries out).
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
ralfeez

Post by ralfeez »

Where's the switch? Sorry...just a newbie...
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

ralfeez wrote:Where's the switch? Sorry...just a newbie...
Depends on the year of your camper. In my 1991, it's near the sink. See this.

But if you have a pilot water heater (non-electronic ignition) you either won't have a switch or it won't do anything - you'll have to go out and light it by hand every time.

ralfeez

Post by ralfeez »

Mine is a 1996 but does not have all of the same controls as what is pictured here. I do have the same range hood. My AC/Receptacles switch is inside the cabinet over the main doorway and I do not have a black rocker switch like the one shown as a water heater switch. i guess that I will keep looking. It was working on the last trip. It must be electronic because I have never lit the pilot on it.
thank you,
Ralph
ralfeez

Post by ralfeez »

Found it! It is just like the rocker switch shown and in the same cabinet as the AC/Receptacles switch. It is unmarked and was in the on position. The switch just needed to be toggled a few times. It started right up. Thank you for all of your help. I am leaving for vacation tomorrow and this was driving me a little nuts.
Thanks,
Ralph
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

What probably happened was that it ran out of gas when you shut off the gas valve, and it gave up trying to start, then probably shut down for safety when the switch was left on.

Personally, I shut my water heater off except when I'm going to use it - so, for example, I'll turn it on before meals when I know I'm going to do the dishes afterward, but otherwise I shut it off. On the other hand, a water heater doesn't take very much propane to run, so it's okay to leave running, too.