Starting the water heater manually (stand back!)

Keep the water inside the pipes, tanks, and sinks
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Starting the water heater manually (stand back!)

Post by skater »

I've had a couple situations where my water heater would not start up automatically. I believe it was because I'd drained the tank and gotten the ignitor too wet - but let's face it, those ignitors can fail, too. Here's how to start your water heater manually.

Note - this really is a two person job! I've done it alone, but it's a bit dangerous!

Basically, one person flips the switch inside the camper to "on", as the other uses a long match or lighter to start the burner. The match should go in the large tube near the gas outlet.

The danger is that you're probably doing this because it wouldn't start manually - so there's all sorts of propane floating around in there. When you introduce that match to it - BOOM!

The best procedure would be to wait several minutes after your last automatic attempt for the propane to clear, then attempt it manually. In any case, stand back!

I've done it alone by flipping the switch then running outside quickly to light it. And I got a small boom - probably because of the built-up propane I just mentioned. So be careful!
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit