Those (*$^(#$@ pex fittings

Keep the water inside the pipes, tanks, and sinks
Jonny
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 0

Those (*$^(#$@ pex fittings

Post by Jonny »

Working on the plumbing can be a nightmare - I've seen a few posts where people ask about replacing a section of something and asking how to fix or convert the grey pex pipe.

One sweet solution is something called a "shark bite" fitting. Not sure if it's been mentioned anywhere on the boards or not - I'm just posting to give another option when working on the pipes.

Sharkbites are available at Home Depot and some other hardware stores. It's a male fitting that slides on the pipe, both inside and outside. They work on copper, PVC, pex, etc. One end is the sharkbite and the other varies. You can convert to 1/2" NPT, barb, etc. using them. Don't use "gator bites" as they require an additional piece that goes inside the pex pipe... just seems awkward, and I have good experience using sharkbites.

I just got done gutting under my sink and converting everything to PVC, adding a good filtration system, shutoff valves, etc. Next stop is new faucet, sink, and brita filters all around :)
Wakeslayer
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Re: Those (*$^(#$@ pex fittings

Post by Wakeslayer »

Would like to see pics of what you did with the PVC.
Just get on the Bus!!

Mike & Barbara
swampy
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1989

Re: Those (*$^(#$@ pex fittings

Post by swampy »

Hi There,
recent trip to Scotland one of the drain valves stated passing water when shut , any ideas on replacement as the pipe seems crimped on , as any one else in the UK had this problem and found replacements.

Best Regards Swampy . :?: