Gas off, oven burner still burns

It's a gas
Knox_Gal
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 19091

Gas off, oven burner still burns

Post by Knox_Gal »

Accidentally discovered that oven burners still lit and burned after the tank valve was closed. No discernible leaks or odors. Upon inspection and recommendation from a local propane house, we bounced the tank valve and tried again. This time all 4 burners lit, and 3 promptly poofed out. The fourth burner's flame decreased dramatically, but did not go out, burning for an hour before we shut it off. Any thoughts before we take it to the RV repair shop?
micabarry
Seasoned Traveler
WBCCI: 0

Re: Gas off, oven burner still burns

Post by micabarry »

Here's my 2cts. The shut off valve isn't sealing fully, allowing propane to continue to flow a little. If you aren't comfortable working on propane valves then I think you do need to go to a propane shop or rv dealer to have the valve either replaced or rebuilt. There are rubber gaskets that get dried out and either won't completely shut off or, in my case, leak propane out of the valve stem. I found a packet of #6 gaskets at Lowes and fixed mine, but your seal may be a bit different. Find someone you trust because it shouldn't be an expensive fix. And call first to see if they can recover the propane or want you to burn it off. Good luck and post how it went.
skater
Site Admin
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

micabarry wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:35 pm
Here's my 2cts. The shut off valve isn't sealing fully, allowing propane to continue to flow a little. If you aren't comfortable working on propane valves then I think you do need to go to a propane shop or rv dealer to have the valve either replaced or rebuilt. There are rubber gaskets that get dried out and either won't completely shut off or, in my case, leak propane out of the valve stem. I found a packet of #6 gaskets at Lowes and fixed mine, but your seal may be a bit different. Find someone you trust because it shouldn't be an expensive fix. And call first to see if they can recover the propane or want you to burn it off. Good luck and post how it went.
Yeah, I'll bet this is the problem. Working with propane is a touch on the dangerous side for obvious reasons, so this might be a good thing to go to a shop for.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Knox_Gal

Post by Knox_Gal »

The journey with continually trickling propane has yielded the following:

-Local RV repair house reports no leaks in propane system, determines that the tank valve does not fully close.
-Same repair house cannot obtain a replacement valve or tank, even though several posts on the B190 forums indicate otherwise.
-Same repair house says it lacks the ability to remove the old tank, contrary to the ease of removal reported by some forums users.
-Call to the Manchester company yields little more than a "we don't make those anymore" response
-Dealer where I bought the B190 a year ago is not concerned. He says some people leave the gas fully on all season, and that he has seen some RVs that have been parked with the gas on for 3 years.

Right now it seems the simplest option is to disconnect the line at the tank and install a plug until spring. Any further thoughts?
skater
Site Admin
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Knox_Gal wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:38 pm
The journey with continually trickling propane has yielded the following:

-Local RV repair house reports no leaks in propane system, determines that the tank valve does not fully close.
-Same repair house cannot obtain a replacement valve or tank, even though several posts on the B190 forums indicate otherwise.
-Same repair house says it lacks the ability to remove the old tank, contrary to the ease of removal reported by some forums users.
-Call to the Manchester company yields little more than a "we don't make those anymore" response
-Dealer where I bought the B190 a year ago is not concerned. He says some people leave the gas fully on all season, and that he has seen some RVs that have been parked with the gas on for 3 years.

Right now it seems the simplest option is to disconnect the line at the tank and install a plug until spring. Any further thoughts?
That's an interesting string of comments - the tanks are readily available for ~$500, and I removed mine without much trouble, alone. And it's not even the tank that's the problem, it's the valve (which isn't even in the tank), which can be replaced by anyone competent in propane repair. The one quirk is that you have to drain the tank to work on it - usually by simply burning off the propane in it.

It generally shouldn't be a problem to leave the gas on. I often forget to turn it off in our trailer, and I never turn it off on our gas grill any more. Obviously there's always a tiny risk of something failing somewhere that lets gas leak, but that's pretty rare. And a huge leak should be stopped by the regulator (they have a fuse-like mechanism that causes them to shut down if too much gas is flowing).
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Knox_Gal

Post by Knox_Gal »

Thanks to all who replied. After parking it for the winter, was finally able to find a local repair house that replaced the valve. It turned out to be a much tougher job than I could have handled, but it was inexpensive and the propane system is now working properly.