propane smell

It's a gas
luv2offroad
New User
B190 Year: 1995
WBCCI: 0

propane smell

Post by luv2offroad »

Hi, female newbie who recently bought a 1995 B190 and not sure if this is normal, but when opening side doors, you can smell propane. I did the soap/water mixture and sprayed on valve and lines and didn't see any bubbles. Is the smell normal? Should I be smelling propane at all? The valve is open all the way and keeping my frig cold. I will be bringing it into an RV service shop but they can't take me for 2 1/2 weeks here in S. CA @ $110/hr. :( Any suggestions or ideas? Maybe its normal for these vans? Thank you in advance!
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Re: propane smell

Post by Planck »

There was a good writeup in one of the RV magazines last year on servicing the propane system. Bottom line, they recommended having a "certified" propane expert inspect the system. I would call around to propane filling shops and find one that can check out your system. Does not have to be a $110/hour RV center that can't get you in for 2 1/2 weeks. Maybe local fire department would have a recommendation, as this could be a serious issue.

Good luck
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Not normal; you have a leak somewhere, unfortunately. Where is the tank on the '95? Is it still under the driver's side, or had they moved it to the passenger side by then?

If the tank is on the passenger side, I'd wonder if it's leaking out of the handle a little bit. We had this problem on ours; the packing wears out and it starts leaking. A shop was able to replace the handle. Or the regulator could be leaking; the one in our trailer had split in several places around the edges.

It could also be a leak in one of the appliances, like the furnace... there are a lot of possibilities, unfortunately.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Post by Keystone »

I had good luck with Ferrellgas in Frisco, CO. They replaced my regulator and leak-checked all of my fittings, including those on the furnace I had just installed. Charged me $35 for the entire visit including parts. The Ferrellgas website shows a lot of California locations. Maybe there is one near you. Good luck!
Keystone
B190 4x4