It's a gas
Saprophyte
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1996
WBCCI: 0

No flow through propane valve.

Post by Saprophyte »

Hi there,
I've been living in my '96 B190 for a year now and lurking on the site, but I think this is my first post. Here's my problem: No gas flows through the main valve on the propane tank. I've got an Extend-A-Stay, and the stove works if I use an external tank. I want to remove that valve and replace it, but the on-board tank is 3/4 full.

Has anyone here ever had there tank emptied through the fill valve? Has anyone seen my shut-off valve problem before?

Thanks.
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992

Re: No flow through propane valve.

Post by lido14co »

Is it possible your gauge is broken and the on board tank is empty? Welcome to posting. Hopefully one of the site experts can help!

Cliff
Saprophyte
Weekend Camper

Post by Saprophyte »

Good thought Cliff, thank you. I know there is gas in there though, since it comes out if I open the bleed valve. I also haven't used it much since the last fill.

I've heard of people getting there tanks pumped out and filled with nitrogen for shipping a tank by plane. I don't know where to go for that, of if they'll be able to do it. I could just let it all out through the bleed valve, but releasing about 7 pounds of propane in a populated area or on the highway would be... rude, at best.
nvestysly
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1998
WBCCI: 16771

Post by nvestysly »

Saprophyte wrote:Good thought Cliff, thank you. I know there is gas in there though, since it comes out if I open the bleed valve. I also haven't used it much since the last fill.

I've heard of people getting there tanks pumped out and filled with nitrogen for shipping a tank by plane. I don't know where to go for that, of if they'll be able to do it. I could just let it all out through the bleed valve, but releasing about 7 pounds of propane in a populated area or on the highway would be... rude, at best.
I don't have a good solution for you but I'll tell you what happened when I wanted the valves replaced on my 30# tanks for my trailer. I tried to use the propane and bring the tanks to the propane company empty. However, for various reasons, one of the tanks still had some propane when I went to the propane company. They were not concerned - they simply opened the bleed valve and let the propane escape for several minutes. When the pressure was relatively low they started removing the valve body to let additional propane escape past the threads of the valve. They were relatively careful to ensure they didn't completely loosen the valve body under pressure because they didn't want a projectile on their hands. Is this the correct procedure? I don't know but I figured it was their responsibility.

So I guess I would call a few propane shops and ask them. Can they replace the valve even though there is propane in the tank? As you said, maybe you'll find they can empty the tank (or come close to it) by pumping the propane out of the fill port.
We sold our 1998 B190, V-10
Currently own a 2010 Airstream Interstate
Saprophyte
Weekend Camper

Post by Saprophyte »

Thanks for your input, nvestysly. I talked to my local RV shop, and they said they couldn't get the gas out any other way. It's a tough problem. I'll keep asking other shops. I'll let it out through the bleed valve if I absolutely have to, but there's still several pounds of gas in there, so I really don't want to go that route. It wouldn't be so bad if I could burn it off, but I see no easy way to do that.
EricZ
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1993

Post by EricZ »

You need to go to a propane shop.
NOT an RV shop; they typically know relatively little about propane equipment.
NOT a business that simply sells propane (like a gas station); they know almost nothing about propane equipment.

The three largest propane retailers in the U.S. are AmeriGas, Ferrellgas, and Suburban Propane. See if there's one of these in your area. Some of them no longer work on little tanks (like ours), but in that case they could refer you to someone in your area who does.

They'll know how to remove the propane if necessary, but they can also help diagnose the problem, potentially avoiding having to empty the tank.
Saprophyte
Weekend Camper

Post by Saprophyte »

So, I solved this problem last winter and never reported back until now.

I found that my problem was twofold. 1) The Extend-a-Stay a T-connector I had installed somehow blocked flow from the on-board tank. I'm not sure why this happened, but it had something to to do with the little ball in the inlet that stops propane from the auxiliary tank from filling the on-board tank. 2) The tank valve no longer closed completely, so could never fully stop the gas once I removed the extend-a-stay.

Once that Extend-A-Stay was out, I just boiled water, fried eggs, and ran the heater until the tank was empty. It was a nasty winter in western Massachusetts, so it wasn't a waste of gas.

I bought a new Rego style tank valve and replaced the defective valve. While I was at it, I removed all the rust and repainted the on-board tank.