LP Detectors - Useful Life?

It's a gas
SeaQuinn
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1999
WBCCI: 0

LP Detectors - Useful Life?

Post by SeaQuinn »

Howdy :-) I was just double checking the various safety detectors ( smoke, co2, and LP) smoke and co2 have expiration dates but the LP detector doesn't? Not a single date on the device. It looks to be the original Atwood Protector Series 2001. The original paperwork in the owners manual refers to this model. Green light works and the test button/siren works. Is it possible this thing still works and will until I get a fault light or is it time to replace?

Thanks as always :-)
slapthecat
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990

Re: LP Detectors - Useful Life?

Post by slapthecat »

There is definitely a life span on them! Don't remember what I read... but I remember mine being over the recommendation (at 25yrs)
I replaced with an Atwood that does CO2 and propane. A little smaller than the one that came with my B, so I had to make a little frame for it to keep it pretty, but it seems to be working fine - it does go off at one particular gas station that is just brutal with fumes!

http://www.amazon.com/Atwood-Carbon-Mon ... n+monoxide
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Re: LP Detectors - Useful Life?

Post by Kentuckian »

I have a Safe-T-Alert Propane sensor installed in our B190. It has a manufacturing date printed on the back of the device and instruction state to replace it after 5 years.

Found this online just now...

How often should safety alarms be replaced on a RV?
Replace your Propane and CO Alarms that are over 5 years old. Only install Propane and CO alarms that are UL listed for Recreational Vehicle Use. Some CO alarms or their replaceable CO sensors may have a shorter service life. Check the manufacturer's owner's manual for replacement information. Replace your Smoke & Fire Alarms that are over 10 years old.
1993 Airstream B190