External propane hook-up

It's a gas
EdwardM
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

External propane hook-up

Post by EdwardM »

As we will be living in our B190 for the next year, and heading to South America, we decided we wanted an external propane hook-up for a grill, so we could cook outside enjoying the view and keeping the inside of the van cool. There were a couple of options. 1) Install an extend-a-stay or similar. 2) T a low pressure line off an existing one. We deiced to go for number 2) as installing an extend-a-stay seemed complicated with the b190 due to the regulator placement on the propane tank.

Making a T from an existing line seemed like the best idea as we would be working with low pressure gas, and it would allow me later to install a second internal propane hook-up for a low pressure catalytic heater.

I went to my local ACE hardware and bought all the pieces I would need to T the line. I decided to T the line on the back of the fridge, as it was easy to get to using the external panel, and would give me enough space to install a ball valve as well. I simply attached a T junction between where the flare copper propane line screws into the fridge, it was easy, no cutting or flaring required.

I used soapy water to check for leaks, there were a couple so I used more yellow tape, and presto no more leaks.

As we don't have a TV I used the hole where the cable hook-up was. I used a hack saw to make the hole a little bigger, and pushed a propane line from behind the fridge, under the sink and then to the opening. I wrapped the propane hose in the plastic ribbed sheath, that's used throughout the van.

I searched and searched the states for an external propane outlet, but couldn't find one. In the end I ordered something from eBay in the UK ( my home) called a bullfinch caravan BBQ gas point, which is a really nice peice of kit. I needed a little peice of brass called a tail to convert the metric compression fitting to a USA imperial barb.

8mm tail for use with 8mm compression fitting.

http://www.gasit.co.uk/8mm-tail-for-use ... tting.html

That was the only really complicated part, and had me scratching my head for a while. On the whole I'm glad I did it and I think it looks great. The van is in storage at the moment, but I'll put a finished picture up when I see it next.

Does anyone know of an American fitting that does the job of the bullfinch? I know there are quick release valves, but none I've seen that can be mounted on the side of an RV.

Edd.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
EdwardM
Weekend Camper

Re: External propane hook-up

Post by EdwardM »

We're finally on the road and we've been using the stove for breakfast. It's been working brilliantly. Melissa wrote an entry in our blog about the install:
https://parkthehouse.com/2017/03/22/acc ... ing-stove/

Hope someone finds out useful, we love cooking outside.
Edd.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 0

Post by 190-b-651 »

Great idea looks like your getting things dialed in to suit your needs.
Im not to fond of cooking on the stove top inside ether its great for making coffee or soups things like that but I agree about the grease and mess. The oven works great we've used it alot I do like the outdoor stove you found.
Im also curious about the evaporation cooler I believe you installed if so how does it work probably a little cool to really test it.
Thanks for sharing your ideas and progress.

Dennis

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk
EdwardM
Weekend Camper

Post by EdwardM »

Hi Dennis, thanks for the reply. Cooking outside has been great, although we did have a couple of teething problems with the set up, it's working perfectly now. We haven't installed an evaporation cooler. We did install a second fantastic fan, where the AC was taken out, but that's it on the cool front! We also installed a catalytic heater when we removed the furnace, but obviously that's for heating stuff!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk