It's a gas
JoeD
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

Leaking propane out the fill valve

Post by JoeD »

93 B190
Had an attendant overfill the propane tank. Not the first time, but this time it seemed to spew out the fill valve. This was last month ( mid March), was cold and it has been until recent. And at the time id hoped to just bleed some out with the valve until I got to the right fill amount. But it kept spewing. Is the fill valve damaged? Are they replaceable? It has been intermittent as I didn't bleed all the gas out until tonight after I caught another wiff of it stinking again and had enough. Was kind of thinking of doing a tank overhaul of sorts. Anyone do that? New regulator, new fill valve, hoses, valve handle and add methanol. Etc. Any tips? Ive also tried to have the local propane dealer (AmeriGas) have a tech "check" the system because last year I had some leaking out the packing nut on valve when it was reallu cold. They just sprayed soap water on the valve and called it good. Of course it wasnt malfunctioning at the time and had warmed up. I'm wondering how much the cold has to do with these issues, but like I said it wasn't the first time it was overfilled. Ive heard of potential damage to it from overfilling, so any and all advice would be appreciated. Thanks a bunch!
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Leaking propane out the fill valve

Post by skater »

There are two things going on here, I think.

One, it can leak out the fill valve, around the handle. The packing is shot. You need to have someone who does propane repair (RV repair place can probably do it) repair or place the valve.

The second is the overfilling. They really shouldn't be able to overfill it. If you're saying it's overfilled because of this leak, then see above. The other possibility is that you have it filled when it's cold outside, then go someplace very warm, and the gas expands. The pumps only fill tanks to 75% or something to allow for that possibility, but even if it does expand more than that, there is a blow-off valve that will relieve the extra pressure.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
JoeD
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1993

Post by JoeD »

https://youtu.be/G9lQGivIrN8

Found this link seems easy enough to do w an empty tank. Ya the place that has overfilled me twice has claimed they dont have a automatic shutoff valve and this last time put over 6 gals in. Pretty sure the tanks arent even that big? Either way I suppose just find where to buy the parts.
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

JoeD wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:47 pm
Found this link seems easy enough to do w an empty tank. Ya the place that has overfilled me twice has claimed they dont have a automatic shutoff valve and this last time put over 6 gals in. Pretty sure the tanks arent even that big?
Yikes. I'm having trouble finding specs at the moment for earlier ones, but in '98 or '99, it was 9.8 gallons, so 6 gallons would be 61%, which isn't overfilled.

micabarry
Seasoned Traveler

Post by micabarry »

This is an update to my original post, also posted on FB site. I think the "O" ring replaced in 2016 failed because I didn't use silicone gease. Should have lasted more than 6 years I think. Here is the new info from lastest repair

There have been a few posts about propane leaking from the stem when opening ir closing the shutoff valve. The culprit is the little black "O" ring, a #6 size. I bought mine at Lowes, had to get 10 for $2.50!
If, and that is a big if, you feel comfortable working with propane, or, you just want to know what is happening, or, you live in a northern climate and are stuck inside reading FB posts, the repair is this.

Drain the tank completely by using heater or running refridge. While this is happening spray some solvent on screw holding handle.
Remove the machine screw holding the handle with a small socket. Mine was on tight and a screw driver wouldn't do it.
Bang on the handle from behind as you turn it. I used a large screw driver with a plastic handle. It took at least 10-15 hits until it broke free.
Open the valve half way and using a 5/8 wrench or socket, unscrew the nut the stem goes through. THIS IS REVERSE THREAD, SO CLOCKWISE TO UNSCREW! By the looks of my nut, a PO did not figure that out right away. Remove nut.
Put the handle back on and open the valve until the unit shown in the picture is out.
Clean everything and replace #6 "O" ring by rolling in on.
Check the white plastic piece to see if the end is smooth, this seals and closes off the propane, and the brass flare behind the "O" ring, this seals the stem when it is fully open. The "O" ring prevents leakage when opening and closing.
I put a very, very small amount of silicone grease on the "O" ring so it would slide together during reassembly.
If I have missed anything perhaps some of the owners who actually know what they are doing could chime in.
20211218_163323.jpg
20211218_163323.jpg (1.92 MiB) Viewed 2993 times
Old post from 2019: The culprit on my 91 was an "o" ring on the end of the shutoff valve. I burned off the propane and disassembled the handle, took the old "o" ring to Lowes and found one (package of 8) that looked right. #6 "O" ring I think. That was 3 years ago and it had been good since.
silvertrooper
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1996

Post by silvertrooper »

OK, it's been a while but I'll add a question to this post, because I think this is what is wrong with my B190 (1996). The problem for me is getting the screw that holds the handle out--it is locked on there but good and is a round head machine screw, so I can't use a socket. The star drive is nearly stripped; I'm using an impact driver and WD-40 as a penetrant.

I had the valve open in a "leaking" setting for a week or more, and the gauge reads empty. The stove won't light, nor is there any air/gas flow coming from the burners when I turn them on. I've also opened the overflow valve on the propane tank, so I think it's empty empty. But I still get a small whiff of propane every now and again while I'm down there looking at the valve.

My question is then, how to get that screw out? I don't love the idea of cutting a notch with a dremel for a flathead screwdriver because electricity, grinding, sparks? Am I wrong on this? I don't really know another way to do it except a screw extractor, which seems to have similar issues(?).

I think the alternative is a new valve entirely, which is not the end of the world except I don't know exactly which valve to purchase--I think I'll have to install it myself given local shops and cost. Anyone know what valve that is? :)

Thanks for any insight!
Branden
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

In theory you don't need to take the handle off - in the picture above, see the hex nut that would be just under the handle? That's what needs to come out.

Sparks seem like a bad idea to me, too.