replacement tank

It's a gas
DGBMLB

replacement tank

Post by DGBMLB »

I am trying to locate a replacement tank for my '91 B190. The original tank is a Manchester Tank Co. cat# 670274. 10"X 32" with end mounting brackets. Two local dealers cannot find a replacement of this size and configuration. I have not been able to locate other tank manufacturers. Do they exist? Can a similar sized tank with top mounts be installed safely?
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

I know I've seen replacement propane tanks on the web, because I've been pricing them for myself. Unfortunately I'm having trouble finding much at the moment. :(

How is the tank mounted currently? I know you said it has end mounting brackets, but aren't those just bolted to the floor of the van? I thought that's how mine is set up, but I could be wrong. If they are mounted to the floor of the van, I can't imagine why different brackets that also mount to the floor would be a problem. More work, obviously.

What happened to the original tank? Did it rust out? I've considered putting rust reformer on mine but I'm not sure if it's a good idea or not.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
DGBMLB

Post by DGBMLB »

skater wrote:I know I've seen replacement propane tanks on the web, because I've been pricing them for myself. Unfortunately I'm having trouble finding much at the moment. :(

How is the tank mounted currently? I know you said it has end mounting brackets, but aren't those just bolted to the floor of the van? I thought that's how mine is set up, but I could be wrong. If they are mounted to the floor of the van, I can't imagine why different brackets that also mount to the floor would be a problem. More work, obviously.

What happened to the original tank? Did it rust out? I've considered putting rust reformer on mine but I'm not sure if it's a good idea or not.
I have searched the web for new tanks, but only found Manchester Tank Company, which does not list this style tank.

The tank is suspended below the floor, between the frame and outer body. 4 "L" shaped brackets, two on each end, bolt to the floor of the van and also to attachment points on the ends of the tank.

The leak is a pin hole where the filler port is welded to the tank body and most likely caused by rust. I think a previous owner traveled in the north country where they use salt de-icers or went to the beach, or both. Either way, they were not too diligent about washing the underside of the van.
rbtbvan

propane tank

Post by rbtbvan »

SergentR64
B190 Year: 1993

Re: replacement tank

Post by SergentR64 »

Hi,

My tank is the original 1993 and my insurance company wants the propane system certified. Most place so far tell me to replace it. I’m looking at the 10X32 Tank (SKU: NT06-0291) found at https://rvpartshop.ca/product/lp-gas-pr ... -6814.html.

My concern is that, if this tank is indeed a proper replacement, I am loosing capacity as the original tank is a 10 gallon and the one I’m looking at is only 8 gallon. Does that make sense? Any input is welcomed.

Thanks
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Re: replacement tank

Post by Keystone »

The Manchester 6814 is the tank I bought for a replacement, and it bolted on to my ‘94 with the original hardware. I can’t say for certain that my original tank was a 10-gal capacity, but this 10”x32” tank works well and I’m happy with it, since it can’t be overfilled—a problem with the old one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Keystone
B190 4x4