Connecting external propane bottle for 92-B190

It's a gas
bobby_409

Connecting external propane bottle for 92-B190

Post by bobby_409 »

Has anyone determined what parts it takes to quick connect a Portable Gas Botttle to the system to keep from using the Gas out of the fix mounted bottle?

I use the Portable now to connect to cheap WallyWorld grill. Have a rectangular metal form around the burner that will hold a flat pan for pancakes or a large pot for spaghetti the regular grill stays on to grill.
Haoleman

Post by Haoleman »

Yes, it's called Extend-A-Stay.Bought one and when I crawled under there and poked a hole in my head from the wonderfully sharpened sheetmetal guard around the tank, I discovered that there isn't enough room to mount it as it goes between the tank and regulator. It can be done but there will need to be some mods made. I gave up on the idea as we didn't need it anyway. :wink:
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999
WBCCI: 0

Post by Alaskan »

Terry...

Airstream made a mod in 1997 that allows the Extend-a-Stay to be easily installed....

the regulator is no longer mounted on the tank itself....they relocated it to the frame of the van and placed a plastic shiels over it...

therefore the Extend-a-Stay has room to be mounted on the tank and the tank rock-shield isn't in the way...

a mod I made on my 1991 rig...
lougarou
Weekend Camper

propane

Post by lougarou »

shalom, alaskan;
do you have any pics of the modifications you made on your 91.? when i get to my storage unit, i had planed on taking 2 20 pounders with me with out any idea as to how to hook then up. i do have extra regulators and flex pipes.
also , im told that the tank on the 91 is only 10 gallons? if so, how long does it take to run out if thats all one is using for the fridge? i would only be using the stove to make coffee in the morning. or not. :idea:

be safe
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: propane

Post by skater »

lougarou wrote: also , im told that the tank on the 91 is only 10 gallons? if so, how long does it take to run out if thats all one is using for the fridge? i would only be using the stove to make coffee in the morning. or not. :idea:
Weeks - the fridge uses very little propane (or electricity), one of the advantages of an absorption fridge. The water heater isn't that bad, either, especially if you turn it off when you don't need hot water. Cooking doesn't take that much, either.

What will kill your propane supply is the furnace. Everything else isn't bad at all.

I spent a week in the camper using propane for hot water and cooking - I'll have to look and see what I have left, since I started with a full tank. I'll post that later. (Edit: I have about 5/8ths of a tank left. Note I have a small gas grill that uses a separate bottle that I sometimes cook on. Also note that "full" means "3/4s".)

And I think the tank is actually 9 gallons, not 10, but I'm not really sure. :)
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
lougarou
Weekend Camper

Post by lougarou »

:? shalom;

aside from walmart where can one find this 'extend a stay',? search'd walmart and came up with nothing. can i make one myself???

also, there are some laws against carrying an extra propane bottle in the camper, even if its empty... and boy, have the prices on propane gone up. i used to pay 12-14 for 20 lbs, just to put 8 in the van cost almost $24. and that was at my favorite store.

be safe;
lougarou
Weekend Camper

Post by lougarou »

:D

shalom; just answered my own question and posted a pic in my gallery.
ill be seeing a friend that runs a trailer park on sunday and see how he works his set ups. , it was such a long time ago, but; i think he was just using copper pipes and brass connectors. ill post again on what i find out.
the info will only be for crazy do it yourselfers.

be safe, real safe.[/img]
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999
WBCCI: 0

Post by Alaskan »

PPL is a List price operation.....and Extend-a-Stay products are a wee bit over priced to start with...

Camping World has Stay-a-While at $28.99 plus a hose.

you can't run around and collect a bunch of parts from Lowes and create that and save anything...

BTW....there are two options, one being the assembly that just allows the hook up of an additional propane cylinder and the other does that PLUS allows you to hook up any accessory appliance like a stove, a BBQ or lantern....thats the way to go IMO
lougarou
Weekend Camper

Post by lougarou »

shalom and thank you,

be safe.