Increasing propane capacity

It's a gas
weekender
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

Increasing propane capacity

Post by weekender »

Just completed a 2 week trip. The van preformed flawlessly. One of the only things I would have appreciated, would have been more propane capacity. Anyone ever looked into a larger tank? I have a 93, in the event there are any differences in the years.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

You may be able to squirrel a larger tank under there, depending on how much space you have (take a look). Keep in mind they're pretty expensive, though... I want to say one the same size as our was like $400 when I was researching it.

(This is one of my biggest pet peeves with a motorhome - the propane tanks are permanently mounted. On trailers you can just remove the empty tank and go get it filled anywhere.)

Unless you're camping in cold weather, you shouldn't go through that much propane in 2 weeks, I wouldn't think...
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
weekender
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

Post by weekender »

Certainly for weekends, even with heat, no problem on having enough propane, but on our recent 2 week trip, the tank only lasted a 6 days. We did not run heat, but refrigerator was almost exclusively on propane, even while driving, and the hot water heater was used, though we just turn it on when we need it, and usually do not even let it get to full hot. Perhaps the water heater is not calibrated correctly and is eating up the propane. I can't imaging the frig is using that much.