Filling the Propane tank

It's a gas
Haoleman

Filling the Propane tank

Post by Haoleman »

This is the response I got every time we filled the propane tank. :twisted: :?: What a piece of *&^%&$%^. Who designed this M#$%@!!* F*@#$$!!., They ought to be hanged!!! :roll: 8O

Have any of you had a similiar response?

Terry

PS: I guess they just don't like getting down on their knees to hook the hose up.
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999
WBCCI: 0

Post by Alaskan »

yep... we've all heard that before.

Except in Alaska where the guys aren't so whimppie or afraid to get their knees a little dirty... :lol:

Welcome to our group BTW...
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

No, I haven't... wow. I have noticed that some of the nozzles seem to have very little extra room because of the relatively low height of the van, but so far I haven't failed to get propane.

I have small carpets (they're floor mats for the back seat of a car, I think) and I always grab the one for the driver's side and toss it down for them to kneel on - I figure it can't hurt to be nice. :)
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
ChasingRain
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1994

Post by ChasingRain »

Yep, every time. And frankly, I agree with it. I mean, ever hear of ground clearance? It seems like I have to get out the leveler blocks every other time to jack up the right side of the van just so they can get the hose hooked up...
reday
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1995

Carpet helps...

Post by reday »

Skater,

Got mine filled up for the first time today. One of the things the PO told me was to pull out the scrap of carpet he kept (like your floor mats) for the guy to kneel down on to fill the tank... barely enough clearance for the nozzle to fit. I can see where it could be more of a problem down the road... heavier load. Different hardware...
Ralph & Margie Day<div>Lizzy the Borderline Collie</div><div>Old Hickory, TN</div><div>Between 'streams...</div><div><div></div>
baggydew
Weekend Camper

Post by baggydew »

I struggled with this problem on every fillup. Finally I had my local propane dealer make a 45 degree adapter that screws on and off the threaded filler. It can be positioned at various angles, even straight out from the tank and acts as an extention. It's about 6 inches in length. He charged me 30 bucks for it. Of course, it's just used when I fill up, not a permanant fixture. The female end screws onto the tank, the other end is male and fits the fill hose. No more sore knees or clearance problems.
baggydew
Weekend Camper

Post by baggydew »

Everyone needs to check the metal strapping bolts holding the tank. Those bolts loosen up and the tank can slip down making the fill up even harder to do. If your tank has slipped, loosen the bolts and put a jack under the tank raising it back in place...then tighten the bolts. Check it whenever you fill up.
jlidahoair
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1990

Propane

Post by jlidahoair »

We had our propane filled for the first time a few days ago, and didn't have any problem with the attendant being wimpy, however she.. Yes, girls are'nt wimpy in Idaho. Ha. (I used the floormat suggestion, thanks) She did make the mistake of opening the little vent valve all the way instead of 1/4 or 1/2 turn. She found out the error of that when she couldn't close the valve when she was finished. She managed to get a little freeze burn out of the deal, and another attendant closed the valve. Kudos to them both. When we got home, I noticed that all too familiar smell of the stenching agent in propane from time to time. I tested the tank, each valve, and joint and each connection point with solution.. No bubbles.. However I still catch a whiff of it occasionally. Outside only. My question is.. since it took them a few minutes to get the vent valve shut off, will the smell be noticeable still from that, or only is there is a leak that I haven't found yet?
Thanks in Advance.
baggydew
Weekend Camper

Post by baggydew »

If it is a cool day when you have your tank filled and it subsequently warms up, some propane will seep through a relief valve causing you to smell propane, This will also happen if they overfill (over 3/4 tank) and the propane doesn't have room to expand during warmer temps
jlidahoair
Weekend Camper

Propane

Post by jlidahoair »

Thanks Much baggydew for the info. I turned on the propane valve again this afternoon (opening all the way), and rechecked the tank, each valve, joint and connection w/solution, and all appear to be fine. I'm always pretty picky about a possible leak in the propane system. By the time they shut off the vent when filling it, the tank was down to 2/3. I just had them leave it that way for now.
Have a great rest of the week
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

Be sure to also check the hose where it leaves the tank...

I've had a couple of them leak and required replacing....one was a situation where it would leak only at times, I discovered that by moving the hose slightly and then I could see it leaking.
jlidahoair
Weekend Camper

Propane

Post by jlidahoair »

Thanks Alaskan, I checked the hose at both ends last time. Didn't smell anything, or see a leak, but I didn't wiggle it in the process. I'll try that. It doesn't take much of a leak to be able to smell it. I don't like any kind of fuel leaks. Guess that comes from driving a gasoline tanker some years ago. Safety First, right? Take care. ;o)
Cheers,

**As an update to this last post. I did check the hose. wiggling and applying solution too. Looks like it has been replaced in the not too distant past. Now, there is no hissing or leak, and the propane scent smell is gone.
Thanks for all the help and tips.. ;o) **