Propane regulator replacement

It's a gas
Second Sail
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 0

Propane regulator replacement

Post by Second Sail »

It appears that after 21 years it's time to replace the 2 stage regulator on the propane tank as it has developed a slight leak. The original Marshall Brass Model 260 I am to replace is no longer produced by the manufacture. There are two possible options I have found on line and am unsure which I should order for the job. One is the Marshall Brass model 290 and the other one is the Marshall Brass model 299. They are both relatively inexpensive at about $20.00 and available at many suppliers. Has anyone made this replacement and if so which model was the "plug and play" one I could order? I realized there was a problem when I would occasionally catch a whiff propane outside the vehicle. Upon inspection, I sprayed soapy water on all the joints of the hoses, regulator and shut off valve, fully expecting to find the shut off valve stem to be the culprit. That turned out to not be the case. I found the pin hole on the regulator was very slowly developing a bubble, indicating a faulty regulator. Thanks in advance for any direction anyone can provide. Happy cruising!!
skater
Site Admin
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Propane regulator replacement

Post by skater »

I had ours done by a shop, and I don't know what they used. My guess would be you'd want the 299 since it's a horizontal tank (that's just based on some internet searching to find the difference between the two models - I have no expertise on this).
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Second Sail
WBCCI: 0

Re: Propane regulator replacement

Post by Second Sail »

Thanks allot for your reply Skater. Yes, I agree 100% with your assessment. I too, did some more research on the internet with sites that had better descriptions than the manufacturer and found that yes indeed, the 290 is for a vertical mount tank and the 299 is for horizontal, indicated by the direction of the vent. (sometimes I find it hard to see the forest through the trees) I have also found that there is a cover available for the regulator that is now required to meet some RV requirements. I am going to install that as well. Appreciate your input. Cheers!