WORLD'S BEST '99 B190 -- SOLD

List your B190 and related items here
pstrom
B190 Year: 1999
WBCCI: 0

WORLD'S BEST '99 B190 -- SOLD

Post by pstrom »

Here's a post I absolutely hate to write. After nearly 60 years of camping all over North America and owning
everything from a pop-top camper through Class B, C, A, and fifth-wheels up to 39', we finally decided that
a van camper, and specifically an Airstream B190 would be ideal for just the two of us at this point in our
lives. After looking for well over a year (and somehow without discovering this site during the search) we
found exactly the right B190 advertised by an RV dealer in California. After much discussion and negotiation
on the phone, we bought it, flew to the left coast, and drove our prize back home to Jacksonville, FL this
past summer.

It was high mileage (165,000), but appeared lovingly cared for by its one previous owner, who had installed
a new engine at 151,000 (I spoke with the shop that had been servicing the unit for the past 10 years or so).
The dealer had installed a new upper deck mattress. We added two new rear tires and an oil change before we
left.

The 3000 miles to home -- we meandered a bit -- were great fun but, needless to say, shook out some things
that needed attention. Water flow was slow in both sinks until we had the system blown out. The ladder was
hell on bare feet (found it easier to step on couch and counter and climb into the upstairs bed from there).
Had the fridge serviced because we weren't able to see the flame. Still can't, but we take it on faith that
it is working when we go through the prescribed process of starting it up on gas, and it has not let us down
-- there's always ice cream in it. The microwave crapped out in Tucson. But the big issue was handling --
once we got to highway speed the steering felt a little squirrely, the huge side area and high CG caused the
rig to rock & roll when 18-wheelers went by, and short-radius exit ramps became very exciting. Got it all
fixed, but it was a major project and had to wait until we got home (see below for details).

Since then, we've enjoyed several week-long trips in Florida and Georgia and have been looking forward to a
two-month trip to visit whales and puffins in Newfoundland this summer. It is not to be, though. My wife and
I are 80, and have been quite active, but both of us rather suddenly have developed some health problems that
put this trip, and camping vacations in general, out of the question. So our exceptional Airstream is for
sale. It'll be worth your while to read everything here and look at the pictures to see why we consider this
190 to be the WORLD'S BEST.

1999 AIRSTREAM B190 ON FORD E350 CHASSIS, VIN 1FDSS34S4X8A00641
AIRSTREAM VIN 1B9KGVA24XJ301352
172,00 miles 21,000 since new engine

UPGRADES, REPAIRS, ADDITIONS, & MODIFICATIONS, Mostly since August 2016:
* During the drive back from California, something hit the WINDSHIELD and cracked it - replaced when we got
home.
* The original RADIO worked fine, and the speakers all sounded great, but it had a cassette player and I
wanted Bluetooth (for hands-free phone), a CD player, and auxilliary inputs, so we installed a new radio
with all the bells and whistles.
* There was no TV, so we added a new 23" flatscreen and an HD DVD/BlueRay player, but couldn't find a
practical way to connect to those nice original speakers.
* New 750W MICROWAVE oven.
* The centers on two of the WHEEL COVERS were missing. So we got a whole new set.
* Installed a BACKUP CAMERA with night vision.
* To correct the handling issue, which we now understand is somewhat normal with unmodified 190s,
we replaced:
BALL JOINTS
SHOCKS
SWAY BAR BUSHINGS
STEERING SHAFT
TIE RODS
AIR SUSPENSION SYSTEM BAGS
2 NEW FRONT TIRES
and did a FRONT END ALIGNMENT. I love the way it drives now -- solid feel of the road, pretty much ignores
crosswinds and passing semis, and sharp curves no longer cause my hair to clench.
* Dash air was cold, but flow was weak. Replaced AC/heater BLOWER and VACUUM CANNISTER.
* During the trip from California, we became dissatisfied with the COUCH. With the back up, it was too
narrow as a single bed. With the back down, it was too narrow as a double and completely blocked movement
between front and back, as well as access to some storage areas. We removed the rollover mechanism, cut the
back in two, using material from the hidden side for the cut ends. The two halves are easy to handle and
just go on the front seats at night. We now have a comfortable couch and comfortable full-width single bed.
(I still have the rollover mechanism, so converting back to a rollover is possible if desired.)
* The originals were showing a lot of wear so we replaced the CARPET and PAD. Same with the CURTAINS, so
we had new ones made.
* Replaced 10 SPARK PLUGS and 3 IGNITION COILS. Average mileage, towing a trailer with two power wheelchairs,
improved from 9.6 to 10.9 mpg. Don't really know what it is without the tow because we seldom drive it that way.
* Found a Gen-turi GENERATOR EXHAUST SYSTEM in the outside storage area. (muffles sound and sends fumes
above the roofline -- seems to be brand new; we've never used it)
* Replaced SMOKE DETECTOR & CARBON DIOXIDE/PROPANE DETECTOR.
* Added ADAPTERS for 50 and 20 Amp hookups.

STANDARD EQUIPMENT:
6.8L Triton V-10 engine
35 gal fuel tank, regular gas
LT245/75Rx16E tires
Driver & passenger airbags
Automatic transmission/overdrive
Tilt steering wheel
Cruise control
Dash air conditioner
6 speakers (see below for radio)
Convenience group package
Hi-back bucket seats
swivel passenger seat
6-way power driver seat
Deluxe engine cover console
Power mirrors
4-wheel anti-lock braking system
Original Ford Owners Manuals
Heated holding tanks
22.4 gal fresh water tank
27.5 gal grey water tank
9 gal black water tank
12v interior lighting
110v exterior outlets
110v interior outlets
35' shore power cord
30 amp converter w/ 12v charger
11,000 BTU air conditioner
w/heat strip
6 gal water heater, 120v/propane
Demand water pump system
9.8 gal LPG tank
12,000 BTU furnace, wall thermostat
3 cu ft Dometic refrigerator
120v/12v/propane
3 burner range w/oven
Power range hood w/light
City water hook-up
Locking water tank fill
Control panel monitoring system
black, grey, fresh,propane, battery
TV antenna mounted in roof
TV antenna booster w/cable
and telephone hookups
Prewired for solar battery charger
2.8 kw Onan generator (55 hours)
Aerodynamic raised fiberglass top
w/1-piece front window
Center brake light
Running boards
Spare tire & bracket inside rear doors
Roadside exterior storage
in running board below floor
Tinted slide-open safety glass windows
w/screens
Rear curbside closet
Sewer drain hose compartment
Towing package
(receiver & wiring)
Porch light
Full-length awning
Chrome front and rear bumpers
6'1½" Galley w/drawers
1' flip-up shelf galley extension
Oak hardwood frames and doors
Cabinet storage, TV shelf over galley
Additional storage above couch and
microwave cabinet
Stainless steel double sink/faucet
72" couch w/seatbelts
Dining table
Queen-size sleeping area over cab
Ladder
Trim panels on all doors
Reading lights over sofa and
over-cab bed
Fire extinguisher
Vinyl ceiling w/Ozite walls
Fan-Tastic roof vent w/
wall thermostat
Fiberglass wet shower w/sink
Thetford toilet
Large medicine cabinet w/mirrors
Shower curtain
Bath exhaust fan
Foldette door
3" binder with all Airstream manuals &
instruction sheets, etc. for every
component and appliance

Over 40 pictures can be seen at http://tinyurl.com/javahdb. They're high definition -- a single click opens them
to full-page size. You can download them with a double-click.

It's ready to go. It includes bedding, pots and pans, dishes and utensils, 20' sewer hose and connectors, 25' fresh
water hose w/pressure regulator, even drawbar, ball, and brake controller for trailer towing. I've lost track of
some of the costs along the way but I know we've got at least $24,000 in our Airstream at this point. We'll consider
any offer in that neighborhood.
Last edited by pstrom on Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:26 am, edited 4 times in total.
190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 0

Re: WORLD'S BEST '99 B190

Post by 190-b-651 »

Can you please post the airstream vin# it should be on a silver tag under the hood or on your paperwork.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk
pstrom

Post by pstrom »

Sorry for the oversight. It's 1B9KGVA24XJ301352. I've also added it to the original post.
190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler

Post by 190-b-651 »

Nice rig by the way.

pstrom

Post by pstrom »

Update: Listed on eBay now at $23,500. To view this ad on eBay, please go to eBay.com and enter item number 262883438367 in the search box at the top of the eBay home page.
pstrom

Re: WORLD'S BEST '99 B190 -- SOLD

Post by pstrom »

Sold on eBay in 4½ days at full price of $23,500, and it's new home will be back in California. Congratulations to Chris and Lynn. Hope you will enjoy it as much as we have.
usachris
Seasoned Traveler

Post by usachris »

We are so excited to be a part of this community, and getting the privilege of purchasing your beautiful rig! We have already named her "Grace" in honor of His Amazing Grace. We feel so blessed!

Thank you, Paul :D
Christopher Salazar
1999 B190 #301352
190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler

Post by 190-b-651 »

Welcome back to California lol.
What part of California are you in?
There's a few b190's out this way would like to find a few more and get a group 190 camp out going. I've learned a lot from the group just reading old postings these guys are great.

Dennis

190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler

Post by 190-b-651 »

Grace meet Tinman & Vandora.
Tinman is for sale Vandora is ours.

pstrom

Post by pstrom »

Chris and Lynn, thanks for the kind words. You've been a pleasure to deal with. I was looking forward to introducing you to this wonderful website and it's helpful, sharing community, but you found it on your own -- good for you!

190-b-651, great picture. Don't think I've ever seen two 190s in the same place before. They look happy together. I do hope you'll get a group to travel together. We were approached half a dozen times between California and Florida -- in restaurant parking lots, at scenic overlooks, even once while stopped for a red light -- by nostalgic former owners and by people who had just never seen a thing like this, and they all wanted to look inside. We were happy to show her off. Can you imagine the reaction of people watching a parade of them go by?

Enjoy!
usachris
Seasoned Traveler

Post by usachris »

Thanks, Paul :D

Dennis - We are located in Costa Mesa, Ca. If you are So Cal we would love to meet up. Heck, we would love to meet up wherever in Ca you may be. Lol. Tinman & Vandora! We love it!

We were introduced to the B190 by a neighbor who owns one only 1 block away from us. My wife and I would see the top of the camper peeking over the fence and always wanted to inquire about the "funny looking Airstream". Well, yesterday we were out walking our dogs and saw our neighbor out by his camper and hit him with a hundred questions :lol: .

He was sooo generous with his time as he showed us through his rig, beaming with pride as he answered every one of our questions. That was yesterday, Saturday. I went home and immediately began looking for a B190. About 10 minutes later I came across this forum and saw Paul's listing. We showed our neighbor - who immediately said to buy it ASAP! And we did.

We went from B190 admirers to owners in the span of a few hours. What a difference a day makes :D
Christopher Salazar
1999 B190 #301352
190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler

Post by 190-b-651 »

We get the same reaction most people haven't seen a b190 before my wife love's showing the inside people are amazed airstream crammed all that in a van...lol
I still am...

190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler

Post by 190-b-651 »

I've got to laugh at your story. My good friend and mechanic owned Tinman he gave me the nickel tour a couple of years ago and the search began. We wanted a b van but after seeing the airstream we both agreed thats what we wanted. Found mine in Colorado Springs about eight months later need some work but not bad 86k on it now I've gone through everything its now time to do some more upgrades in the fall shes going in for paint.
Im in the central Valley up around modesto got a group of friends setup for the first week of May in Mendocino for the opening of abalone season looking forward to that.
Looks like you got a good one use it enjoy it we love ours.
Welcome again

Dennis

usachris
Seasoned Traveler

Post by usachris »

Small world, Dennis.

I was born and raised in the Central Valley. I was going to send you a private message but my membership is too new to allow me to do so. I guess I have to put in my time on these boards before I'm allowed full access to all of the features.
Christopher Salazar
1999 B190 #301352
190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler

Post by 190-b-651 »

I sent you one.