Found on Craigslist! Common scams and common sense!

List your B190 and related items here
Sub2RainEN
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990
WBCCI: 0

Re: Found on Craigslist!

Post by Sub2RainEN »

190-b-651 wrote:I remember looking for 7 or 8 months before finding mine just about daily seeing pictures that seemed to be exactly alike on different posts. After perching the b190 I would still check quite often finding pictures of my interior on another posting on Craigslist was a little shocking. Even though they are all alike over the years and several other owners certain flaws are easily picked out on a picture.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk
Yep. I'll recognize the one with Route 66 curtains that keeps reappearing. I actually contacted a seller on eBay, because I recognized the pics from her listing on a CL ad.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud 1990 B190 newbie owner
DSCLUCHFC
New User
B190 Year: 0

Post by DSCLUCHFC »

Tucsonan wrote:
DSCLUCHFC wrote:The referenced Craigslist is as scammy as they get.

I replied to it when I saw it posted in Pueblo's Craigslist.
Someone named Anna replied to me with additional photos and told me it was located in Duck Creek Village Utah, and that she wanted to sell it quickly as her mom had massive medical bills.
She also wanted eBay to act as escrow agent for the money if I would just deposit it, they would hold it until the van was shipped to Texas, all she needed was my address and confirmation and login details for the eBay escrow to confirm it being deposited and she would have it shipped, but she needed my info so that she could have the transport charge me for the shipping.
HAHA.

I told her cash wasn't a problem that I was going to come to Utah and get it, IN PERSON.
Since that moment, no replies, no communications despite repeated attempt by me to get her to reply again or call me.

Yet, that van is posted nationwide from Maryland to Michigan to Washington etc....and I proceeded to flag it on Craigslist as prohibited every time I found it.
Good job, your due diligence is a lesson for us all. Unfortunately, scammers are everywhere!

I am the son of an attorney, and have been a Chartered Life Underwriter/Chartered Financial Consultant/investments broker for 37 years.
Due diligence is like breathing to me.

I want to see what I am buying. If it meets the expectations the seller has promoted, then we can do the transaction in guaranteed funds independently verified by his bank via cashier's check or wire funds transferred....I don't mind paying the wire fee.

I had a guy in AZ on a Tahoe once that wanted me to fly out to get it and bring $18,500 in Ben Franklins....LOL....not happening. I would never make it through TSA with that amount of cash without being Civil Forfeitured as a suspected trafficker.
Anyway, I flew out to Phoenix, Cashier's Check in hand. He owed GMAC, but wanted the cash from the bank, and he would pay the Title off and send it to me......uhhh no..
Your bank can wire GMAC the payoff and you can sign a Power of Attorney on the Title to me, and I will overnight the POA for Title to GMAC, and they can send me the title in Texas, and you can take the cash net over loan balance and go home. He went to yelling "NO ATTORNEYS NO ATTORNEYS!!!!" and refused to bring the vehicle to the bank....so I flew home without it....reported him to autotrader.com as a scammer...and found another Tahoe for my wife a week later closer to home.

ALWAYS protect yourself, and do it for the other person's protection too.
If someone wanted to buy my Duramax, we would go to my bank or his bank, and verify his funds or get drafting instructions from his bank, independently.
If he doesn't want to do that...then he can go home.

Due diligence is just good business.
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Post by Tucsonan »

Thank you, ...Good lesson! I know I will be reading this again the next time I buy/sell!
1994 B190, Sahuarita Arizona

"... but it's a dry heat!"
190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler

Post by 190-b-651 »

Great advice thank you so much. Im with you on cashier check or wire transfer. I love cash but now days it's just to risky.

DSCLUCHFC
New User

Post by DSCLUCHFC »

Your bank should be happy to help you protect you and the other party.
The other party's bank should be happy to help you protect their customer, and yourself.

Banks are interested in integrity for their customers.
Take advantage of what they can do to help guarantee funds....even if it costs a fee....that is cheap insurance compared to a fraud transaction.
Sub2RainEN
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990

Post by Sub2RainEN »

Absolutely. I wouldn't show up with cash to meet a stranger, that's just common sense. You'd likely be robbed and possibly harmed in the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud 1990 B190 newbie owner
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

This might be a good thread to sticky, with a slight title change - "Found on Craigslist! Common scams and common sense." Thoughts?
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Post by Tucsonan »

Yes Skater, I think that's a great idea!
1994 B190, Sahuarita Arizona

"... but it's a dry heat!"
190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler

Post by 190-b-651 »

That is a great idea.

skater
Site Admin

Re: Found on Craigslist! Common scams and advice here!

Post by skater »

Done!

silvertrooper
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1996

Re: Found on Craigslist! Common scams and common sense!

Post by silvertrooper »

I'm new to the search, and this "eBay will hold the vehicle and transact the sale" or some such is a scam; it's searchable on their site. Ebay doesn't do that.

Scammers abound!
EricL

Post by EricL »

This post has been off and on the Denver Craigslist for a couple months now and I wanted to ask what everyone thought about it.

1992 Airstream B190 4X4
https://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/d/dil ... 67761.html

Thanks
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

EricL wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:14 am
This post has been off and on the Denver Craigslist for a couple months now and I wanted to ask what everyone thought about it.

1992 Airstream B190 4X4
https://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/d/dil ... 67761.html
I believe that one is legit. He posted it on the Facebook group as well. (When I say, "legit", I mean that I believe the owner posted that ad and is in fact selling that B190. Of course, the usual precautions still apply.)

EricL

Post by EricL »

Copy. It looks like they have completed a lot of upgrades to it. My concern would be as with any pre-owned 4x4 would be how rough the owner was on it, and if the 4x4 mods were installed correctly.