1987 Okanagan VC2RT-111 restoration project - Richland, WA

List your B190 and related items here
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

1987 Okanagan VC2RT-111 restoration project - Richland, WA

Post by skater »

Kind of an unusual situation today - a member has contacted me with a request to post his '87 Okanagan for sale. If you are seriously interested, I will put you in touch with him. Note, this is a restoration project; the van is not running and has not been used since 2012. (Disclaimer: I believe this to be a legit request, or I wouldn't post it, but I haven't seen the camper myself.) I hope someone out there is looking for a project like this!

The rest of the post is from the seller:

It is “as is.” I cannot determine its condition. Buyer must know how to repair it. My father had it for many years then parked it when he took ill. We got it and rarely used it, then parked it about 2012 when my health failed. It has been parked since 2012. Please make offer.
VIN: 1FDGS24H3HHB69782 1987 OKANAGAN (BC, Canada company) Model: “VC2RT-111 Super Van” class-B. 1986 FORD, Econoline E250 Extended.

Miles: 51976 on odometer; unknown if speedo has turned over my father never clarified.

Engine turns over but does not start. Old gas, it has not been started since about 2012. There is a very slow oil leak under the engine area. The gas likely needs to be drained, tanks cleaned, fuel lines drained, carb checked, and fuel filter replaced, by a skilled mechanic.

Camper has dual gas tanks. Before being parked it started just fine. Fuel dryers were added to the tanks a year or two after it was parked.
One should not fill these gas tanks full in very hot weather as the gas expands and can overflow at gas caps when the camper is not level. Premium unleaded runs best.

We drove it here from Longview, WA. My father was the second owner. The first owner sold it to Dad after deciding it was too small for him. My parents traveled with a small dog.

The cabin dash AC does not work. It failed before we got the camper. The electric windows on front doors are unreliable but at times have worked. Best to not roll those down as they cannot be relied upon to roll back up. The electric door locks work in the front but are not reliable on side and back doors due to aged parts.

We have never used the hitch or leveling system. We have never connected the camper to site electrical or plumbing sources, used the grey tank, toilet or shower, etc., but did keep RV pink antifreeze in the kitchen sink tank during the first couple winters. We had clean water in the rear hot tank one summer trip to Ellensburg, WA, until the rear PVC line leaked where it connects to the heater then we drained all water.

Summer 2018 a quart of oil that was kept in a plastic bucket leaked, then the bucket leaked, in the rear shower tub. That oil went into the waste water tank and had been leaking out of the drain seal. The shower tub has been stained by fluids kept there during storage (that leaked) and needs to be cleaned, the waste water tank cleaned or replaced with the drain pipes before any use. It has been flushed and somewhat cleaned but the pipe joints under the waste tank have seals failing so it leaks at those joints.

The tires are old and should be replaced. We had the brake system checked and repaired before the last use but we were told to have the drums inspected after any long parking so that’s due. The exhaust headers were rebuilt soon after we took possession of camper.

The rear passenger side upper side running lamp was damaged bumping the gutter on the side of our garage. The hole where lamp was is duct taped over to seal against weather. We have replaced the outer layer of the duct tape every summer so it has never leaked. Replacement parts are inside the camper waiting for installation.

Propane tank still has gas in it but system has never been tested by us. We have never used the appliances in the camper and have no idea if they work but assume so.

We have had the camper since summer of 2006. We drove it locally but once to Ellensburg in summer 2008 (?) where the plastic water heater line in the rear of the camper broke on a rough road pothole. Clear water was released from the water tank but no apparent floor damage resulted. The pipe break is visible but not repaired. We never used the water systems again. It dried out during 100 degree heat during the remainder of summer when that line broke and no water has been put in the camper tanks since.

Truck uses two batteries, one for the cabin and one for the engine. There is no back cabin generator or AC. AC for driver and front passenger area does not cool.

Camper was by Okanagan (Canada, BC) but after a couple years Airstream took over production and renamed it B190. The best website for B190 info is www.b190.com and I recommend it highly.

The spare tire carrier and spare are kept out of the weather inside the camper now but could easily be put back on the rear door. Gaskets around the camper windows should be replaced. Summers here in the desert have compromised them on outer side but so far no inner leakage discovered.

I have a PDF advertising sales brochure issued by the Okanagan Company for this camper that explains all features.

If you wish a mechanic to inspect the camper that’s a very good idea but there will be no taking apart of the camper as I cannot guarantee it will be put back together (or correctly). A licensed, insured, identity verified mechanic that you hire and are fully liable for can inspect but like I said, no disassembly allowed. I don’t know how to repair any potential damages and cannot be assured the inspecting mechanic will do so. I’m open to discuss this for a serious offer but remember, the camper is being sold as is. I will be present at any inspection or showing of the camper to answer questions.

Your inspection is at your cost, your risk, and you are fully and legally responsible for anyone accompanying you, for any damages caused to the camper. No exceptions. You are a guest on our property at your own risk and must depart immediately if asked.
These campers have become collector items and are increasing in value despite their aging technology. Hipsters living on the road are renovating them. This has complicated establishing value.

We’re eager to consider a serious, researched offer. Please share copies of any research you collect showing book value, recent sales, condition, and features indicative of the sales prices. We’re frustrated trying to find that material ourselves to determine an appropriate value to negotiate with. A good faith offer based upon current market value works best!

We will show it evenings and weekend afternoons by appointment if you are seriously interested.
IMG_3073-mod.JPG
IMG_3073-mod.JPG (1.58 MiB) Viewed 2965 times
IMG_3072-mod.JPG
IMG_3072-mod.JPG (1.79 MiB) Viewed 2965 times
IMG_2361-mod.JPG
IMG_2361-mod.JPG (1.63 MiB) Viewed 2965 times
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: 1987 Okanagan VC2RT-111 restoration project - Richland, WA

Post by skater »

Correction: Per the VIN, it's a fuel injected 1987 chassis, not a carbureted 1986. (351 engine.)
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit