We Want One!

Looking to buy a B190 or related item? Post here!
190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 0
WBCCI: 0

Re: We Want One!

Post by 190-b-651 »

ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

190-b-651 wrote:After reading what brake buddy had to say about the laws governing towing what they are quoting is standard trailer laws not motor vehicle in-tow of course it makes you think there product is required.
California motor vehicle code 26458 - C line A
Interesting. Note, I think some other states don't distinguish from a vehicle being towed, so it's best to be prepared for the most restrictive law you're likely to encounter. (Some states say anything over 3,000 lbs - which most vehicles will pass - require brakes.)

Also, I'm not sure I'd want to rely on the B190's brakes alone. They're already under a pretty heavy load, from 9,000 lbs of camper, so adding another couple thousand pounds of car is going to really push them...especially on downhill grades!
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 0
WBCCI: 0

Post by 190-b-651 »

Lol yea I agree brakes are always better I called the commercial guy at California highway patrol he did the research for me because he wasn't sure himself. And its a loophole that is there for a reason if not then tow trucks couldn't operate other than flatbeds.
And in the future its a possibility to add a system but as for now its not in the budget.
I guess I posted the motor vehicle codes as a knee jerk reaction after reading brake buddies list of laws for every state. I knew it wasn't as stated in there sales information.
It actually pulls really good definitely stopping distance is increased and in California towing anything your limited to 55 mph.
I just wanted to make sure nothing has changed in the last few years lessons I've learned dealing with law enforcement driving commercially most officer's know what the laws are but a few think they know. And as the law reads it would look to be that brakes are required until you read subdivision C line 3 and thats the information i wanted to have with me in case of anyone questioning the situation.
So now im going to rearrange my list and move paint after brakes. And your right I know im legal in California but that could change from state to state and its no question its definitely safer with the brakes on the tow vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk