Searching for my first B190

Looking to buy a B190 or related item? Post here!
pnwcruiser
New User
B190 Year: 0
WBCCI: 0

Searching for my first B190

Post by pnwcruiser »

Hello B190 Owners,

I'm actively looking for my first B190. I've gone through some of the great information on this site and have noticed that the "sleeping area over the cab" appears to have changed three times over the history of the vehicle. Here is the data:

1989-1996: 72" x 76"
1997-1998: 55" x 64"
1999: 65" x 80"

Most of this data comes from the specification sheets provided in the "Airstream B190 brochures and manuals" post under "Basic Questions", however the 1997 specification sheet didn't specify a size. But a conversation with the owner in NC who currently has his 1997 for sale confirms that it has the smaller berth like the 1998. I'm at a loss as to why they shrunk the berth so significantly with the big 1997 remodel and it obviously took them a couple of years before they corrected their mistake...

I'm 6'1" and don't think that the smaller berth will work well for me and my wife, so at this time I'm focusing my search to anything except a 97 or 98 (unless you happen to have one with a normal sized berth?). Would prefer a 99 (with the V-10 and all) but will seriously consider anything in good shape (and hopefully low miles). I'm located in Portland, OR. If yours hasn't moved for awhile and you need the room -- please drop me a note at your convenience.

Thanks
190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler

Re: Searching for my first B190

Post by 190-b-651 »

Welcome to the group.
Im 6'2 and your right you definitely need the larger upper berth but the couch is normally where I sleep with my wife its a little lumpy but a foam mattress pad really helps. The upper bunk isn't easy to move around on for me anyway but kids love it.
As for the V10 parts are expensive and the early one's were problematic blowing the sparkplugs out of the heads. And really thirsty from what I've been told.
Some would say the same about the 460 I have gotten up to 13mpg on flat ground at 65 but its rare more like 11-12 average 9 towing my full size bronco. Personally I would choose the 460 over the V10. Parts are everywhere millions have been produced its a proven power plant and its a larger engine 7.5 L
Where the V10 is 6.8 L
I haven't seen the mpg on the b190 but remember this isn't like driving a cargo van its never empty always around 9500 pounds or more depending on how much gear and tank levels liquid adds up quick.

Any V10 owners tell us what MPG.s your getting.

Good luck on your search just my two cents. .lol

Dennis

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk
pnwcruiser
New User

Post by pnwcruiser »

Thank you Dennis for the good info. I had heard (can't remember where) that the V-10s get around 13mpg. I'm not that concerned with mileage figuring that there just isn't that much difference between the various engine possibilities. I don't have any experience with any of the engines and just assumed that the V-10 being a little newer would be better. I think you have convinced me to think otherwise.

In regards to my search -- I forgot to add that I am in no rush. So if anyone out there thinks that they might be selling after the summer season -- please drop me a note.

Thanks again Dennis for the sound advice.

Cheers
190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler

Post by 190-b-651 »

I will keep my eye out for sure.
Take your time get the best for you surprisingly enough they do pop up but the good ones go quick.
Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk
EasyRider
New User
B190 Year: 1999

Post by EasyRider »

Hi - we just posted our B190 for sale a few minutes ago.
Check the FOR SALE listings on b190 forum.
Thanks for looking!
Easyrider