Buying Tips

Looking to buy a B190 or related item? Post here!
Sub2RainEN
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990
WBCCI: 0

Buying Tips

Post by Sub2RainEN »

Hi everyone,

I finally have cash in hand, after years of looking at Bs. My budget is $8k, so I'll be looking for imperfect Bs. Today, I looked at my first RV ever: an '89 Ford Falcon. It was similar to a B190, but had a small, side wet bath and a small set of benches/bed across the back. It confirmed for me that a B190 is plenty large enough for me to live in for a year or two.

Alas, a European driving a Mercedes arrived just after me and says he will return with cash tomorrow. I'm next, if he falls through. I'm actually having trouble wiring the funds from the account where I receive deposits to my local bank, so I need to figure out how to move the funds.

The best B option now is the $6500 one in Maryland (although I'm a bit wary, due to the pics). I've never bought used, and certainly not from the other side of the country. Any tips for buying from out of state?

Thanks,
Sub2RainEN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud 1990 B190 newbie owner
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler

Re: Buying Tips

Post by Choptop »

Well, they all lie a little bit, best bet is a vehicle w/a history you can look at. The previous 2 owners of my B did not keep any records or they were lost, last owner kept records of tranny refurbish, tires and refrigerator and alternator. I am keeping receipts and records of when I did things, will be easier to sell and possibly justify my price. Learn how to read the age codes on the tires,, check the oil and smell the tranny fluid. I hate rust and dents and mine is 99.5% free of that and it was the 1st B I looked at. They seem to go fast. I ended up doing a tune up on it and a couple of other things, did it myself and saved a boat load of money on labor, the engine area is a B'ITCH to work on but oil changes are easy. Good luck w/your search.
Sub2RainEN
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Sub2RainEN »

I've never bought used, so this is an adventure for me! I'll probably have to get one with some dents, but hope that's it. Thanks for the tips.
Choptop wrote:Well, they all lie a little bit, best bet is a vehicle w/a history you can look at. The previous 2 owners of my B did not keep any records or they were lost, last owner kept records of tranny refurbish, tires and refrigerator and alternator. I am keeping receipts and records of when I did things, will be easier to sell and possibly justify my price. Learn how to read the age codes on the tires,, check the oil and smell the tranny fluid. I hate rust and dents and mine is 99.5% free of that and it was the 1st B I looked at. They seem to go fast. I ended up doing a tune up on it and a couple of other things, did it myself and saved a boat load of money on labor, the engine area is a B'ITCH to work on but oil changes are easy. Good luck w/your search.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

What is the one in Maryland, if you don't mind sharing? I live in Maryland, so it's possible I could check it out for you, depending on where it is and all.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Sub2RainEN
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Sub2RainEN »

Hi Skater,

That would be great. It's in Dunkirk. Hope it's close to you. Thought it was posted on the For Sale board:

1991 Airstream 190 w towing package
https://smd.craigslist.org/rvs/d/1991-a ... 52741.html

I'm a bit dubious, due to photos, but possibly it's just a tech user issue. I have been in touch, they didn't bring up eBay Motors or anything suspicious.

BTW, the one in Baltimore is the fake ad sweeping CL nationwide.

skater wrote:What is the one in Maryland, if you don't mind sharing? I live in Maryland, so it's possible I could check it out for you, depending on where it is and all.

skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

Wow, that's our old van! I believe this ad to be valid.

It's pretty close to us, actually. I want to go look at it!

Choptop
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Choptop »

skater wrote:Wow, that's our old van! I believe this ad to be valid.

Is that the one we just pulled a Carfax on ?
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

Choptop wrote:

Is that the one we just pulled a Carfax on ?
Yep!

Sub2RainEN
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Sub2RainEN »

Wow, it would be awesome to have your old B! I'd know it was well taken care of.

skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

Sub2RainEN wrote:Wow, it would be awesome to have your old B! I'd know it was well taken care of.

Well, it hasn't accumulated many miles since we sold it, so who knows. I think it had 122,000 when we sold it, and it only has 124,000 now, 6 years later.

I have to admit, I wanted to buy it back (I've posted about it a few times, check the want to buy forum for example). I don't want to buy it out from under you, though! If you decide to pass on it, though...

I've emailed the author of the ad about looking at it this weekend. If nothing else maybe I can finally get the Airstream VIN from it. ;)

Sub2RainEN
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Sub2RainEN »

Thanks, I appreciate that. If I get it and can bear to part with it, I'll offer it to you first. I'm considering buying a Lazy Daze if I decide to FT long term. I want to start small and be able to urban boondock for a year or so. The B190 is perfect.

Let me know what you think. I am still trying to figure out how to transfer the money to my regular checking account, so I can pay someone. My wire was returned.
skater wrote:
Sub2RainEN wrote:Wow, it would be awesome to have your old B! I'd know it was well taken care of.

Well, it hasn't accumulated many miles since we sold it, so who knows. I think it had 122,000 when we sold it, and it only has 124,000 now, 6 years later.

I have to admit, I wanted to buy it back (I've posted about it a few times, check the want to buy forum for example). I don't want to buy it out from under you, though! If you decide to pass on it, though...

I've emailed the author of the ad about looking at it this weekend. If nothing else maybe I can finally get the Airstream VIN from it. ;)

skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

Well, I'm happy to help - I'll go take a look at it and let you know what I find. I'm expecting it'll need tires, but I could be wrong.

Choptop
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Choptop »

Kind of like an old girlfriend that shows up again, you have fond memories, but someone else is interested in her, your happy w/your current gf but... :rofl:
mountaindent
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992
WBCCI: 19000

Post by mountaindent »

Choptop wrote:Well, they all lie a little bit, best bet is a vehicle w/a history you can look at. The previous 2 owners of my B did not keep any records or they were lost, last owner kept records of tranny refurbish, tires and refrigerator and alternator. I am keeping receipts and records of when I did things, will be easier to sell and possibly justify my price. Learn how to read the age codes on the tires,, check the oil and smell the tranny fluid. I hate rust and dents and mine is 99.5% free of that and it was the 1st B I looked at. They seem to go fast. I ended up doing a tune up on it and a couple of other things, did it myself and saved a boat load of money on labor, the engine area is a B'ITCH to work on but oil changes are easy. Good luck w/your search.

The B-190 I purchased just two weeks ago had beautiful pictures posted on Facebook that had me committed! Realized quickly those pictures were from 2012(5 years earlier) when the owner purchased or got on this forum to share photos. While the condition of the vehicle was not as advertised and it has needed much maintenance there was no rust, the interior was in excellent condition. Have spent days cleaning and cleaning. New tires(the other "new" tires were 7 years old), changed the hoses, water pump, added front and rear sway bars(learned this from this site), new Monroe shocks front and back and some seat repair necessary along with too many other things that got fixed. What I am saying is the condition in the ad was more what it was YEARS ago and while as a buyer I saw the ad and reality were different upon inspection. HOWEVER, I saw how we could bring this vehicle back and enjoy for many years. Buyer beware is true but, figure what you are willing to do yourself or pay to have the vehicle safe, clean and useful for travel. And, the seller is seeing the best of what it was no doubt. All good and happy to own this 1992 B-190.
And....I did run a CarFax which was great because I saw many maintenance records, saw that it had no odometer rollover and it has 50,000 miles which is why I had to replace a lot of all that original items like water pump, upgrade the air conditioner in cab with some adaptor.
Sub2RainEN
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Sub2RainEN »

Thanks, all for the things to look for. After all this time. it would be hilarious to me if Skater's "ex" is the one.