Sofa cabinet drawer glides

Make it comfortable inside
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

Sofa cabinet drawer glides

Post by Kentuckian »

The drawer under our '93 B190 was rough sliding in and out and would drop to the floor when pulled out to its extended position. This drawer uses the same nylon "Delta Glide 100" drawer glide system as is used on the Kitchen cabinet drawers. The Kitchen drawer use one glide per drawer. The sofa uses two glides on the drawer. On our sofa drawer the nylon tabs that retain the drawer glide in the tracks had broken off. I decided that I wanted to replace the Delta Glide system with something more robust. Therefore, I removed the Delta Glide drawer glide system and installed ball bearing steel drawer glides. We tend to pack more weight in this drawer and I believe the ball bearing steel glide system will be more reliable. If your are interested in making this type of change, you can find a variety of choices for drawer slides at most cabinetry supply stores.
Attachments
Ball bearing steel drawer slides
Ball bearing steel drawer slides
Ball Bearing Slide small.jpg (212.65 KiB) Viewed 11982 times
1993 Airstream B190
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Re: Sofa cabinet drawer glides

Post by Kentuckian »

In order to prevent the drawer from vibrating open while driving, I installed an "RV Designer" Push Latch part number H315 in the center of the drawer. You will need to add a support block inside the sofa cabinet frame to properly position the latch on the cabinet side. The new drawer and latch system works great! One more thing to check off the B190 todo list!
Attachments
RV Designer Drawer Latch
RV Designer Drawer Latch
RV Designer Latch small.jpg (223.41 KiB) Viewed 11981 times
1993 Airstream B190
Mgittrich
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Mgittrich »

Thanks for the post. Really good information.

Mike
Mgittrich
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Mgittrich »

Just out of curiosity, what drawer slides did you use?

Mike
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Kentuckian »

I had these glides left over from a previous project. So sorry, I no longer have the source information. However, they can be found at most shops that stock cabinetry hardware. If I was going to do a deluxe retrofit, I would build a frame on the left and right side of the drawer and add slides to the sides that would allow the drawer to be pulled all the way out in the hall for unlimited access to the drawer contents. The method I used was quick using the existing framing. However, the back three or four inches of the drawer remain under the couch when fully pulled out. Still completely useable. But full access would be nice.
1993 Airstream B190
Mgittrich
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Mgittrich »

Just got done replacing the drawer slides on the under couch drawer. Haven't installed the cabinet catch yet waiting for the part to arrive.

For those thinking of doing this I used a pair of Accuride 3732 18" ball bearing slides mounted on the flat. They are are a perfect fit. They are 1 1/2" wide by 1/2" tall and install without making any modifications to the existing runners. They are rated at 100lbs but would expect the exact load carrying capacity to be somewhat less since they are mounted on the flat. Should be good for clothes and other light weight items. I purchased these slides from the local Woodcrafter store for about $18 for the pair. Total time for doing this about 2 hrs once I had the slides and screws I needed.

The one thing I would recommend is beefing up the drawer bottom by overlaying the existing bottom with a sheet of 3/8" or 1/2" plywood before mounting the slides. I didn't do this and will need to make this enhancement. I'm running up against the end of the season and am trying to complete a number of modifications before placing the b190 in storage.

Mike
Mgittrich
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Mgittrich »

For anyone doing this modification if your using the RV Designer" Push Latch part number H315 make sure you use the 10lb latch not the 5lb. I initially used the 5lb and the drawer would slide out.

Mike