Alternate flooring

Make it comfortable inside
sudec11
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1992
WBCCI: 0

Alternate flooring

Post by sudec11 »

Hello, I recently purchased my b190 and the only thing that really needs done is carpet replacement. I was wondering if anybody has used any other type of flooring instead of the carpet. Also, if they did do you have a picture?

Thanks! Joan from VA
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Welcome, Joan!

My carpeting is pretty rough, so I've looked at the floor tiles that look like a wood floor (a real wood floor wouldn't be a good idea for me). I think it'd be pretty easy to do, too, and not very expensive.

Outstanding issues for me:
--What about the carpeting on the doors? Mine is pretty faded.
--What to do about the spot by the main door where the carpeting is vertical?
--Would I replace the carpeting in the cab part of the camper? In mine this carpeting is still in excellent shape.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
ChasingRain
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1994

Post by ChasingRain »

I replaced mine with engineered hardwood flooring- it's tongue and groove flooing that you glue down. I think the cost for all the materials was a little under $200 from Lowes (something like this: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none). It looks great and so far has held up to a good bit of abuse. I left the carpet in the cab,- mine was in good shape too and just used a rounded reducer piece on the front edge (and one on the back edge into the bathroom), and I didn't have carpet on the doors or the vertical bit by the main door- mine has a plastic step a la Ford factory that I just ran the new flooring under. One other thing I learned in the process is that the cabinets are not at all square in these things- by running the flooring crossways, for most of it I could use one piece, but had to measure and cut each piece to length individually.

I'll try to get a picture of it next week.
Eagle
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1990

Post by Eagle »

Joan from VA - this is Eagle from VA (near Fredericksburg)

I just last week replaced the carpet with tile. I removed the carpet from the back of the rig, but left the carpet in the front.

The hardest part is getting the carpet up. After trying to cut the carpet with a utility knife I ended up using a cutting disc on my drill. That worked great, but be careful next to the wood cabinets or you will cut them.

I also purchased a glue from Lowes and put that on the wood floor before placing the tile. The tile had a sitcky back, but I wanted the extra insurance for sticking the tile to the floor. I then used strips along the edges to dress it up.

All in all I would say the project came out rather nice. I also purchased a rug to place over the tiles. I am very happy with the result and it does make cleaning the floor a lot easier.
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

Wayne....that link finally works for me !

Thats a darn nice looking 1990 rig..

Tell us about your cat heater I see there on the end of the counter..

Dave...
ChasingRain
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1994

Post by ChasingRain »

I had pretty good luck with getting the old carpet out with a utility knife (actually, I think I got a carpet knife for it, but same sort of deal). Keep in mind that the carpet runs well under the cabinets. Then again, my carpet seemed to be half-rotten anyway.

I thought about tile, but wasn't sure how much the floor flexed when the rig is bouncing down the road, and if it would be a problem with tiles popping loose. I'd be interested to hear how it holds up
Eagle
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1990

Post by Eagle »

Alaskan, the cat heater is not the best. Most of the cold air comes in around the door and that is a good location for the heater. When the temp gets below 32 forget it. You cannot heat the coach using that heater. This is why I decided to install a generator. An electric heater works well and the coach will stay comfortable.
sudec11
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1992

Post by sudec11 »

Hello everyone, and thanks for the advice! I will be trying that lowes idea! Also, to my fellow Virginian....I stayed in Fredericksburg KOA the night I bought the b190. Nice campground! Thanks again! I know I will be having many more questions! Joan
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

(Moved to the Interior forum.)

Minniemouse
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1996

Wood look 25 year floor tile

Post by Minniemouse »

We purchased a 1993 "b190" in September, 2007. The carpet was awful and even worse to care for when we were camping! We wanted to keep the wood look so we found 25 year 12X12 vinyl tiles at Lowes in a box of 20. The box says that it is the look of classic inlaid wood. (parquet flooring) Lowes Item # 166231 Chalet. Made by Cryntel Enterprises. It seems that this brand is only distributed by Lowes. The tiles have adhesive on the back and can be cut with a scissors. The hardest part of the job was removing the carpet under the couch and sink. We left the carpet in the cab area. The bathroom tile was in good condition so we left it alone. The pattern looks great with the oak cabinets and the floor is so easy to clean! We still need to find a transition strip for the cab as the tile is much lower than the carpet was. The price was very good.
Minnie Mouse, North Carolina southeastern coast
reday
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1995

Carpet is out...

Post by reday »

The carpet is out now in my '95.

Some things to watch.

- Make sure you remove all screws holding cabinets down. Some may not be obvious or hidden under crud.

- Use the sharpest tool you can find to cut the carpet. I went through 15+ blades in my multi-blade knife. That old carpet is tough.

- If you have a Dremel, the Flex Shaft and cutting blades help tremendously.

- A pry bar to lift the cabinets and a wide chisel to drive the carpet under the cabinets will help in removal.

- Guess what... no staples out in the aisle... they are all up under the cabinets where it is next to impossible to remove them. Get the carpet out. It probably stinks and will only get worse.

- I did have to concede on removing the carpet from under the water tank. Did not see how I could get the tank out to remove the staples. If I pulled it out and left the staples, I could see them wearing through the tank sooner if not later.

- Washed down everything with TSP.

- I will now fill in the floor to level the seams out (took out the table mount - will never use it) then prime it and paint with a grey porch paint... including under the cabinets. I found in my last re-flooring that not paying attention to prep work will show up in your finished product. Others may not notice it, but you will!

- I am thinking a floating floor (again) front to back including bath. Still trying to decide wood pattern or stone/tile look. Light/Dark. I think there is enough dark wood, so will probably go with a lighter stone/tile.
Ralph & Margie Day<div>Lizzy the Borderline Collie</div><div>Old Hickory, TN</div><div>Between 'streams...</div><div><div></div>
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

Well, I finally got around to doing this in my camper.

I went with vinyl tile after my brother gave me a couple boxes of tile that he no longer needed. Let me tell you, that stuff is EASY to work with - if you've never done it and are afraid of the difficulty, don't be. It's not hard at all.

My job went pretty much exactly like Eagle's. The hardest part was removing the old carpet. I didn't remove all of it - the stuff under the cabinets is still there, but it's in good shape and it'll provide extra insulation, so I don't see a problem with that. I cut the carpet along the edges of the cabinets and pulled it all out.

As has been said a couple times already, the hardest part was getting the old carpet out.

I plan to put in some quarter round to finish off the edges - Lowe's has some that is already in walnut color and is only $4.60 (or something) for 8' lengths.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the stairwell, though.

weekender
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Post by weekender »

So I'm wanting to tackle replacement of the carpeting in my 93. My plan is to also replace the linoleum in the bathroom. I will be leaving the carpet in the cab section as it is still in great shape. For those of you who have done it, can you tell me how the toilet comes out, and if it is tricky to get back in? Also, for those who have replaced the linoleum in the bath, was this hard to get up?

Thanks for any help
reday
Weekend Camper

Post by reday »

Take off the wooden trim over water lines behind toilet. Turn off the water pump and remove the water line. Remove the nuts on either side of the base. Rock and lift. Buy a replacement flange and replace it while you have the toilet out. This will give you enough flange to seal things back. The old one will be compressed.

I put in a "floating floor" from the front carpet back to the rear. Read my description of that process above. I did not remove the old bath floor. Instead, I "filled in" a smooth transition from the wood under the carpet to the old tile and put the new floor directly on the top. The brass threshold hides any goofs and makes cutting at the doorway a lot easier.

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/2339/tilet.jpg
Last edited by reday on Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ralph & Margie Day<div>Lizzy the Borderline Collie</div><div>Old Hickory, TN</div><div>Between 'streams...</div><div><div></div>
reday
Weekend Camper

Post by reday »

BTW, the flange needs to be one designed for the Thetford toilets from a camper supply house, not a Home Depot house model...