Alternate flooring

Make it comfortable inside
weekender
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

Post by weekender »

Thanks Ralph-- much appreciated. I'm thinking a floating floor as well. Home Depot has what seems like a new product-- vinyl, like the squares, but these are lengths, 3' I believe, with interlocking edges similar to tongue and groove.

PS, the floor in your picture looks great-- I much prefer the full floor into the bath-- I think it makes the space feel larger.

Steve
reday
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1995

Post by reday »

The tile I used was from Home Depot... 3 squares to a sheet. Locked together with an adhesive tab. Goes down easy. Minwax Early American Stain is a good match on the new quarter round.
Ralph & Margie Day<div>Lizzy the Borderline Collie</div><div>Old Hickory, TN</div><div>Between 'streams...</div><div><div></div>
weekender
Seasoned Traveler

Post by weekender »

I finally got around to doing the floor in my rig. As many have mentioned, getting the carpeting out is the most difficult task. I found it pretty easy to get most of it out with a simple utility knife, working in sections. The carpet inside cabinets and in the front cab section was all still in very good shape, so I kept it. I chose to get rid of the linoleum in the bath as well and decided on the self adhesive tiles. All went pretty well, took a couple of days. A couple of additional pointers from my experience:

I used spray adhesive on the particle board before applying each tile-- a nice strong seal. I found it easier to remove each of the doors on the lower cabinets. Have plenty of blades for your utility knife, and a sharp pair of scissors! NOTE that the cabinets and sofa are not even close to square-- use a plumb line or, in my case, I squared off from the leading edge of the particle board floor by the cab. I basically laid out the entire floor before applications to have the largest pieces of tile possible.

I'll be posting pictures in my photo gallery-- Weekender, last galley on the second page.

PS-- I had previously converted my drawer under the couch to just an open cabinet-- much more storage space, especially for longer bulkier items. There is a picture as well.
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

Thanks for the updates weekender... !
RobertL
Weekend Camper

Vinyl Tile

Post by RobertL »

Just finished ours.
Vinyl tile, oak quarter round trim to hide the edges.
Should hold up nice and be a lot easier to clean.
Will attach pics to Oblivions album.
Wakeslayer
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Re: Alternate flooring

Post by Wakeslayer »

My wife and I are considering doing this to our Bus. We do not like carpet in any living space generally. Did anyone note how much material this requires? I have a box of beech wood left over from our kitchen remodel a few years ago. It has 20 sq ft in it. Is that enough? Or should I start over with materials? We would leave the cab and bathroom as is.

Thanks,

Mike
Just get on the Bus!!

Mike & Barbara
weekender
Seasoned Traveler

Post by weekender »

I did this with the self adhesive tiles, but I don't remember if it was one box or 2-- sorry. I would however recommend doing the bath room as well, though-- it looks much better and makes sweeping much easier without having a seam or metal strip. To me, it also makes the van feel just a little bit bigger.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

weekender wrote:I did this with the self adhesive tiles, but I don't remember if it was one box or 2-- sorry. I would however recommend doing the bath room as well, though-- it looks much better and makes sweeping much easier without having a seam or metal strip. To me, it also makes the van feel just a little bit bigger.
I want to say it was less than one box when we did ours. (That was just for the area behind the front seats, to the bathroom.)
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit