Rain water seeping under refrigerator.

Make it comfortable inside
Orange County Ca
B190 Year: 0
WBCCI: 0

Rain water seeping under refrigerator.

Post by Orange County Ca »

I've noticed the floor in front of the refrigerator wet on occasions and finally figured out its probably rain water not being successfully directed over the exterior access door to the refrigerator. Now I'm getting dry rot in the floor in front of the refrigerator. I've tried plumbers putty strips at the bottom of the refrigerator space just inside the exterior door to no avail and I'm wondering if anyone has had this problem and how they solved it.
Last edited by Orange County Ca on Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mgittrich
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Re: Rain water seeping under refrigerator.

Post by Mgittrich »

Are you sure the water is coming in thru the refrigerator door and not thru the A/C?

I had a leak thru the A/C vents which would put the water right in front of the refrigerator door. Leaky A/C units are quite common are fairly easily fixed.

Mike
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Kentuckian »

When I replaced my refrigerator I fixed three water entry points on my '93.

(1) I built up a rain water dam at the bottom of the outside door frame. Water would seep in at the crack at the bottom of the outside door.

(2) There is a drain in the floor of the shelf that the refrigerator sits on. This drain is visible on the left side behind the refrigerator when viewed from outside with the hatch open. The drain pipe was cracked open just below the shelf that the refrigerator sits on. The crack was letting rain water leak into the floor of the B instead of funneling out through the drain tube through the floor of the van.

(3) Rain water could blow under the refrigerator flowing into the interior of the B at the cabinet face inside the B190. I fixed this by building up a dam with caulk immediately behind the refrigerator from the left wall of the refrigerator chamber cabinet to the right wall of the cabinet.
1993 Airstream B190
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Kentuckian »

For a picture of where I installed my rain water barriers, look at the photo in the July 20, 2013 4:08Pm post in this thread.

http://b190.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1036&start=15
1993 Airstream B190
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992

Post by lido14co »

There's also a little drain pan in the fridge under the freezer. Check to see if this is filling up and leaking out the fridge door.

Cliff
slapthecat
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990

Post by slapthecat »

I'm currently redoing the back of my van due to a leak from the brake light above the back doors. Looking for extended damage, I found that the shelf under the fridge was COMPLETELY destroyed. It doesn't look like that water made it to the floor, so I don't think that contributed to my problem, but possible yours?
The best "cause" I could find was that the two screws mounting the fridge to the drip pan at the back of the fridge were barely installed - allowing a hole through the drip pan into the wood below...
Orange County Ca
B190 Year: 0

Post by Orange County Ca »

Great advise and thanks to all of you. I'll be checking out and implementing all of them and watching that air conditioner for leaks in the future. This water only shows up when it rains and that's happened often during months of touring in the last 4 years. I stay away from hot weather if I can so the A/C gets little use.