DAMMIT... I found a leak... and now have some moldy carpet.

Make it comfortable inside
Travelisaverb
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1995
WBCCI: 0

DAMMIT... I found a leak... and now have some moldy carpet.

Post by Travelisaverb »

Hello friends,

So I have been packing up my 1994 rig today, and pulled up some mats that I had in the front cab, and found them damp, and that is when I discovered BLACK MOLD PATCHES on the carpet under the mats, and some faint (dry) water stains in the areas that are not under the car mats. Here in Missouri we have had some heavy rainstorms in the past 2 weeks. After having a minor temper tantrum and meltdown (I just purchased the vehicle in April and I haven't even taken it on the road yet) I put the hose on the van, and discovered a leak coming from the top of the drivers side window above the sofa. I can put my fingernails between the window and the side of the van, and I can't detect any sealant... upon closer inspection there was a patch job on the side of the window with some silicone caulk. (**clearly this has been a problem before.) The leak is not from the channels being clogged, they are clean. It's coming from the top.

The leak is a steady drip coming in and landing on the sofa when the curtains are out of the way, otherwise onto metal box that contains the generator behind the sofa. During the rainstorms, the vehicle was parked on an angle and the water must have ran into the front of the cab, where the carpet is damp. The carpet is only still damp where the mats were, and otherwise the rest of the vehicle carpet seems pretty dry with no signs of water damage, not even under the sofa ****I'm assuming *** that the area under the driver and passenger seats is just metal, and there is no subfloor, just carpet padding. The thing is ... I can't smell any mold or mildew. I wouldn't have even noticed it had I not moved the car mats.

The sofa is not damp at all... I think the curtain diverted most of the water onto the top of the generator box then rolled onto the floor under the carpet in the front.

So...I'm concerned with #1. sealing the top of the window. and #2 what to do about the slightly damp and mildewy mold patches on the carpet!!!! Will some bleach solution and a carpet shampoo and a thorough wipedown of everything else with vinegar be enough? Do you think I need to remove the carpet? can the padding be infested with mold?

Suggestions? Experience with window leaks and/or mold removal?
URStruly
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 0

Re: DAMMIT... I found a leak... and now have some moldy carp

Post by URStruly »

The mold can be killed with vinegar or bleach solution. Vinegar will not bleach out color. Be thorough and get it all. The window is bolted through the wall of the unit. Remove it and clean thoroughly and put putty tape around the outside frame and bolt the window back in place and cut off any excess squeezed out.

If you are not comfortable with doing it yourself any auto glass shop or rv shop can do it for you. Locally the auto glass shop would be the cheapest. URS.