Replacing Sofa/ Bed

Make it comfortable inside
Blue Steel
B190 Year: 1990
WBCCI: 0

Replacing Sofa/ Bed

Post by Blue Steel »

So I am looking to replace the sofa/bed in our 1990 B190. Any ideas or thoughts: 1) where can I find that specific sofa? 2) approximate costs? 3)Any other models that work/ people prefer? 4) Specifically need seat belts? thoughts on all of the above? Thanks!
nvestysly
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1998
WBCCI: 16771

Re: Replacing Sofa/ Bed

Post by nvestysly »

I'll start by saying I've never done this so take anything I say with the proverbial "grain of salt." However, I have questions and wonder if there is another solution.

Why do you need/want to replace the unit? Is the frame broken or otherwise does not work? If the frame is broken maybe it can be repaired by a welding shop. Instead, if you're referring to the cushions on the sofa those can be replaced and new upholstery done by any competent local shop. I've seen lots of posts on RV forums indicating people bring their RVs to local upholstery shops and they replace the cushions and put on new fabric.

Don't know about seat belts except to say online places like J.C. Whitney sell somewhat generic seat belt assemblies. When I've looked at the sofa seatbelts on our B190 it looks like they are simply lap belts bolted to the floor. I've seen similar items for sale online. Try an internet search for replacement seatbelts and see what you come up with. Depending on the set you purchase you may also need some sort of extension hardware. Here's a link to J.C. Whitney:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/jcwhitney/text ... pid=100001

Lucius
We sold our 1998 B190, V-10
Currently own a 2010 Airstream Interstate
FoCoKCCO
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 8008

Post by FoCoKCCO »

I had my couch professionally redone and it really made a huge difference in the whole interior. One thing to consider is the fold down center that you would lose if you were to put in an aftermarket replacement. If you live in Colorado and need a good shop I can send you info on the shop I used. It cost just under $600 for new foam on the bottom, fabric (I did a automotive grade vinyl), and labor.
1993 B-190
WBCCI: 8008
Fort Collins, CO
Blue Steel

Post by Blue Steel »

Thanks for the beta. We are looking at replacing for two reasons. 1) It sags a ton when in bed mode. It feels like you are going to roll on to the floor. 2) There is only one half of one seat belt left in there and I'd like have more so we can safely travel with four people. I'm down in Durango, so any CO fixes would be great.
Blue Steel

Post by Blue Steel »

So I just spoke with a upholstery place. They said they would recommend reupholstering, because if we purchase a new one it likely won't come with great foam. The cheaper foam will eventually sag and do the same thing while they are able to rebuild it with better foam. They quoted approximately $300 for the better grade 5" thick foam, $400 for all the fabric (approximately 10 yards worth) and then labor. How does that compare to what others have heard? That's about the same price as just buying a new one. http://www.discountvantruck.com/rvsofab ... erey-I.htm Preferences? Thanks in advance!
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Post by Keystone »

I agree with FoCoKCCO, using your original sofa frame and reupholstering locally will give you a high quality result, an operable snack table, and some control over the fabric. $400 sounds pretty pricey (consistent with high-end retail pricing) for the fabric, however. When I redid the fabric on my sofa and front seatbacks, I spent about $70 for fabric from this site: winterbeachmodern.com. Really high quality, commercial-grade fabrics, cool designs. I've since bought other fabrics from them. So, if your local upholsterer offers the option of "customer-own" fabric, that might save $. Just work with the upholstery shop to make sure you buy fabric appropriate for the application. -Keystone
Keystone
B190 4x4
Mgittrich
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Post by Mgittrich »

I too had the issue with feeling like I was rolling on to the floor in bed mode. To resolve this I put a 2x4 cut to the right height and notched under the upholstered metal frame in the middle of the folded down couch. It took care of the problem for me. You might give it a go.

I also had my couch reupholstered by a local shop and it looks good.

Mike
WildZora
B190 Year: 1997

Post by WildZora »

Can you recommend the shop you used in Fort Collins?
Ricci

Post by Ricci »

Hi! What did you end up doing? Im in Salida and we just pulled ours out because we are modifying the space. Its brand new and in great shape if you want to come get it!
Oldbagpipe
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1989

Post by Oldbagpipe »

Check out this thread I was involved in when I installed my new couch. Hopefully it gives you some more information.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2909&p=12400#p12386
Blue Steel

Post by Blue Steel »

Hey Ricci, I just saw your reply to me! I’m so sorry! I’m not very good with the forums. Any chance you still have the couch? I’m in durango, so pretty close. Would love to take the couch off your hands if you do have it. Could you email me at jekling@gmail.com. Also, there is a very active B190 Facebook group. You should join if you’re on FB. Looking forward to hearing from you. Cheers