Anyone happy with pre-97 shower curtain?

Make it comfortable inside
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Anyone happy with pre-97 shower curtain?

Post by Keystone »

I'm carrying out a modest rehab of my shower this summer, and I'm ready to replace the shower curtain. I have removed what must surely be the original--a wacky two-piece affair with a geometric shape cut out of the larger piece. Both pieces have velcro, but there is a lot less hook-velcro than woolly-velcro. I've been puzzling how this was supposed to work, and wondering if I'm missing a piece or something. Does anyone out there use the original curtain and know how it works? I can make a new one just like the old one if need be, but I can't really see what the odd shape and weird velcro placement is supposed to accomplish. Here's a pic of the old curtain pieces: http://b190.com/gallery2.php?g2_itemId=3202
Thanks!
Keystone
B190 4x4
FoCoKCCO
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 8008

Re: Anyone happy with pre-97 shower curtain?

Post by FoCoKCCO »

When I re did my bath I kept the same shower curtain set up. I didn't cut the top of the curtain like the original (I just kept it straight) but my shower head isn't mounted that high. I also didn't put any Velcro on the edges, I just made it a little wider so the two overlapped.

The only advice I can think of is to turn off the fan while showering, you'll get shrink wrapped by a wet shower curtain!

-Tony
1993 B-190
Fort Collins, CO
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Keystone »

Hi Tony,
Thanks for the reply. I was trying to remember how you did yours. So, did you use two standard-width shower curtains (72", right?) to create the overlap and just shorten the window one? That would be easier. I'm also starting to think that the velcro might have been meant to stick to some long-gone velcro dots on the van body--which might diminish the shrink-wrap syndrome :). -Cecile
Keystone
B190 4x4
jb1rd73
Seasoned Traveler
WBCCI: 0

Post by jb1rd73 »

I solved this problem by removing the tub and relocating the shower to an outdoor setup, it was used on the trip out and gets a thumbs up so will be plumbing it in permanently with a boat/rv style shower box. As for a curtain I have a standard rod that I wedge between the open rear doors, works for now until I can figure out a little more elegant setup :)
jb1rd73
Seasoned Traveler

Post by jb1rd73 »

Here is my brother in law enjoying a hill billy bath somewhere in The Ozarks, no shower curtain needed with the trailer or for the fact that we are deep in the Ozarks :)

Sent by magic, I mean come on really, pictures through thin air, MAGIC!!!
FoCoKCCO
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1993

Post by FoCoKCCO »

Keystone-
One standard shower curtain was big enough to make both pieces I needed for my shower. I used a fabric shower curtain to make it easier to cut and sew.

Jb1rd-
I like that idea of putting a curtain between the two open doors, very creative and functional!
1993 B-190
Fort Collins, CO
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Keystone »

Jason,
Nice! But your brother in law is standing where our bike rack goes... But, yes, I currently just feed the shower hose out the back window and rinse off outside. Usually our tub/shower is full of stuff, but I have hopes that if it looks nicer I might actually use it.

Tony,
Thanks for the curtain info. Definitely going with fabric per your suggestion.
Keystone
B190 4x4
Buckeye
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1996
WBCCI: 6009

Post by Buckeye »

I know this is an older message thread, but the original question about the shower curtain was never answered and some Bvan owners/readers might like an answer. The "odd shaped" piece was meant to protect the back door/curtain from getting wet when you sat on the stoop and used the shower sprayer to wash and rinse. There were Velcro spots on the shower curtain as well as corresponding locations on the fiberglass wall and metal door frame to secure it in place during a shower. I tried it once or twice in the beginning of my travel to rallies and decided my shower stall was better suited for extra storage purposes, so the curtains were folded/rolled up into a small bundle and secured with the Velcro strap by the towel rack for the past 8 years. Last month when winterizing, I decided to take them down entirely and bring them in for a washing and storage. I use the kitchen sink for basin baths and hair washing or a campground shower facility, if close by. My shower floor holds a couple gallon bottles of fresh water, a plastic covered trash can with a collapsible bucket and a smaller wastebasket for used toilet paper, 2L and/or 6pks of Pepsi, shower shoes, and my printer sits on top of a food cooler on the stoop. Anything I put on the shower floor must be able to get wet if any water leaks. On the trip home, a laundry bag and partially worn clothes fill the space even more. I don't like putting worn clothes back into the closet.
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990

Post by Choptop »

Not sure who posted these but not bad. Better than trying to position my fat az in that tiny shower torture chamber.
mountaindent
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992
WBCCI: 19000

Post by mountaindent »

That is one amazing transformation....love the corrugated steel wall.