Sofa Replacement

Make it comfortable inside
Eagle
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1990
WBCCI: 0

Sofa Replacement

Post by Eagle »

Has anyone replaced their sofa? The one I have is original equipment and is starting to come apart. It would probable cost as much to have it repaired as it would to purchase another.

From what I have seen on the net, flexsteel makes the size I would need.

Would be interested in learning from others if they had any problems with replacements. What you purchased and how comfortable is the sofa.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Does the Flexsteel one fold like ours do? I haven't looked closely but the replacement sofas I've seen sort of expect to be sitting on the floor, not on a framework like we have.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Re: Sofa Replacement

Post by Planck »

I am resurrecting this thread, as the sofa bottom cushion on our 2nd b190 is getting uncomfortable and a spring wire has popped through the fabric. Have not done much searching yet, but possibly one of us has replaced the bottom and/or back and can supply details.
Mgittrich
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Post by Mgittrich »

I took my sofa out to do some electrical work under the bed. While it was out I took it to a local car upholstery shop and they recovered it god I believe $650. I'm pretty sure they would also be able to follow any repairs if needed. It looks great now.

I also considered replacing it but was unable to find one that operated like ours.

Good luck.
Eagle
Weekend Camper

Post by Eagle »

Do you have any pictures showing how the sofa was removed? If no pictures can you explain how you removed the sofa.

Thanks,
Wayne
Mgittrich
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Post by Mgittrich »

Wayne,

I don't have any pics showing the bolts or the process of removing them but its really straight forward.

Basically there are 4 bolts (2 per side) which attach the sofa frame to the top of the drawer frame. The bolts are located behind the drivers seat and next to the stove on my 93. All you will need are a couple of sockets and wrenches to remove the bolts. You will also need to remove the drawer so you can gain access to the bottom side of the bolts.

To remove the sofa you will also need to move the drives seat forward

You will need to push the side of the sofa in a little and reach your hand underneath the sofa and remove the bolt. The hardest part in doing this were dealing with the locking nuts used to keep the sofa locked down. It should be noted that on my 93 the bolt behind the drivers seat next to the generator box did not have a nut on it. It was simply screwed into the wood frame.

Once the bolts are out, the entire sofa slides off the frame and ca be removed thru the side door. This is a little awkward since the sofa will need to be stood on its end to get it out.

A second pair of hands are helpful but it can be done by one person. I did it alone.

I hope this helps.

Mike
Eagle
Weekend Camper

Post by Eagle »

Thanks Mike. I have wanted to do this for a couple of years - just could not figure how to get the sofa out. Had thought of taking the rig to someone who could upholster the sofa, but that would require leaving the rig with them for several days, if not weeks. Not to mention the cost would increase.

Have also looked at replacement sofas, but can't find one that will fit.

Thanks to you, I can now take it out and to a shop for a complete re-work. Had a shop in Richmond that reupholstered a 40 year old Lazy Boy recliner for me - they did excellent work and will take the sofa to them.

Thanks Mike and you have a great day.

Wayne
Ricci

Post by Ricci »

Hi we just pulled our like new sofa out of our because we are customizing the space. We are in Salida CO come and get it!
RobertS
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1992

Post by RobertS »

I need advice to make sofa more comfortable, stiffer with more support for two people to share. My lady complains , too soft with low spots. Easier to improve folding couch than find ladybug
1992 B19 E350 460ci
WW White Whale
Oldbagpipe
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1989

Post by Oldbagpipe »

Check out this post I was involved in when I installed my new couch. Hopefully it gives you some more information.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2909&p=12400#p12386