Replacing the carpet

Make it comfortable inside
Mark
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1997
WBCCI: 0

Replacing the carpet

Post by Mark »

I'm thinking of doing it, the carpet color is so light that every spec of dirt shows up.

Rip it out, clean up the floor a bit, glue down the pad, glue down the rug onto that?
If it ain't fun - it ain't done!
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Replacing the carpet

Post by skater »

Ours wasn't glued down. We cut along the cabinets and it pretty much came right out. The plywood underneath looked brand new.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Mark
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Mark »

I stopped by the local carpet shop today and pretty much got lined out on how to do it.

I'll need a dry day to do the job though. Here in Oregon, in winter, that might be a while!
jb1rd73
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Post by jb1rd73 »

Are you sure you want to replace carpet with carpet? For your lifestyle I think a laminate with a throw carpet would be much better option. Just my two Lincolns 8O
Mark
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Mark »

I'm going to go with a shorter rug and a more varied, brown and black pattern. I was thinking of hard flooring but I really do like the feel of warm on my feet in the morning.

On second thought though, hard flooring and a throw rug would certainly make it easy to maintain and clean....

Hmmm....hmmm....and more hmmm....
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992

Post by lido14co »

There are runners that fit nicely in front of the couch and to the bathroom. Not quite long enough to go all the way to the front but it sure is nice to be able to take it outside to shake out. Warm feet and convenience.

Cliff
Mark
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Mark »

Yeah, that's what I'm going to do, hard floor and carpet runner. That makes way more sense.
garydi
B190 Year: 1993

Post by garydi »

I did the hardwood floor last year and it was great! Easy to clean with the kids always running through the space with dirty feet. My carpet was disgusting after only one year of camping.
nvestysly
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1998
WBCCI: 16771

Post by nvestysly »

We use a runner and some area mats in our van (even with the carpet) and it makes for relatively easy cleaning. If we were to take out the carpet we'd definitely replace it with laminate, cork or something similar and use a runner and area rugs. We put hardwood laminate in our trailer and use rugs - it works great. I recommend no carpet!
We sold our 1998 B190, V-10
Currently own a 2010 Airstream Interstate
jb1rd73
Seasoned Traveler

Post by jb1rd73 »

Cork would be super awesome, feels great under foot, add a runner in the winter and you have the best of both worlds!!
Minniemouse
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1996

Post by Minniemouse »

Carpeting in a camper is a real pain!! Also we have allergies, so carpet is bad! We pulled it all up and replaced it with peel and stick tiles of a wood parquet pattern. It looks very nice, is easy to sweep and wash. We did find that the floor was very cold on our first trip in cool weather. We found a washable 10' X 20" rug runner with vinyl backing to lay down during cool weather, and we take slippers to wear inside. Due to our travel plans to the mountains we decided to cut a hole in the runner for the table pedestal. We used our canvas awl to bind the edges to keep from unraveling. A heavy duty sewing machine would work, or take the rug to a shoemaker. Or you could use two smaller runners, with a space for the pedestal.
Minnie Mouse, North Carolina southeastern coast
Mark
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Mark »

glued down some nice, tight weave carpet in the cab area and then did "wood" floor in the back. It was easy to do and turned out quite nice.
RV-floor.jpg
RV-floor.jpg (111.83 KiB) Viewed 18677 times
I
myflatire
B190 Year: 1995

Post by myflatire »

I replaced my carpet with cork tiles.1/4 inch thick. It is soft ' warm to touch easy to maintain and was easy to do. Just loved getting rid of the dirty blue. Still have cpt. on the front. It only took four tiles. Put em down with spray adhesive.
JoeD
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1993

Post by JoeD »

This reply might get lost in mix, but i like that idea of the cork tiles. Has anyone has much experience with this? i have two 60lb dogs and just concerned they might get torn up from them loading in and out and generally hanging out in there. Any help?
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Tucsonan »

JoeD wrote:This reply might get lost in mix, but i like that idea of the cork tiles. Has anyone has much experience with this? i have two 60lb dogs and just concerned they might get torn up from them loading in and out and generally hanging out in there. Any help?

The cork might not hold up to large dogs.

I used Trafficmaster Allure Ultra planks in mine and am very happy with them. They are the snap together planks. The regular "allure" adhesive planks, I wouldn't recommend because of the heat that can build up inside our vans.

So far so good, and if the dogs do happen to destroy one, you can snap another in to replace it pretty easily.
1994 B190, Sahuarita Arizona

"... but it's a dry heat!"